ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47730 01/25/05 05:19 PM
D
dcid Offline OP
Hey everyone,

I moved to colorado a couple of months ago and FINALLY just got my colorado journeymans licence. Well, now the search for work begins. Im just wondering if you guys from colorado could help me out a bit.

Im looking for names of big companies that do comercial/industrial work in and around the denver area. (nothing against the smaller companies, but I really like the big projects)ANY leads would be appreciated.

Also, I know that wages are a touchy subject to get into, but im wondering what a "ball park" hourly wage for an electrician with 5 years experience is in the area. I've looked at the wage calculators on the web, but I dont think they are accurate at all, concidering one site said $16/hr, and another said $23/hr.

I've been reading this board for a few days now, and I think its awsome. I hope this subject is appropriate for this board.

thanks evryone,

Dave

#47731 01/25/05 05:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
How Big is Big?
50 electricians?
100?
Do you want to work North? South? Downtown?

#47732 01/25/05 06:38 PM
D
dcid Offline OP
Hmmm, I guess "big" is a relative term. I would say that 50+ electricians is big enough. I'm not really looking for a large amount of employees that I could hide in, just a well established company that has large projects, like hotels, schools, malls, ect. I like the projects that take a year or more to complete, not that I'm really picky right now.

As for the location, I live in lakewood, about 10 miles west of downtown Denver. I'm used to a 45 minute drive each way, so anywhere within a 30 mile raidus of that wouldn't be a problem. When I lived in Connecticut, we would go wherever in the state the company sent us, we didnt have a choice where we wanted to work.

Dave

#47733 01/25/05 07:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I got to thinking about your request and realized that Bill is not crazy about throwing names around on this forum so I won't. If you want I will put up my email address for a couple days and you can reach me there. I will say that I did most of the hiring and interviewing for a large EC here in Denver for several years. Keep in mind that most EC's are always looking for someone who stands out. I would recommend that you put together a very concise resume to attach to your application that really tells about what YOU have accomplished as an electrician and why your the best thing to come along since fried rice. ( Most applicant reviewers could care less that your hobby is collecting paper clips.) Also, I realize that you don't know the town real well so I recommend that you spend a few on a good map book. One of my pet peeves - people who would call and ask for directions, wasting my secretaries time. I feel that a big part of being a good electrician is being able to solve problems on your own. (This includes driving directions.) Also, you don't need to wear a suit and tie to fill out the application or, to the subsequent interview but do wear decent clean clothes and present yourself like you really care about how people perceive you. Bring your own pen to fill out the application as well. ( Another pet peeve!)

Oh, welcome to Denver and congrates on the J-mans licence.

The weather this past weekend was fantastic. Mid to high 60's. Ahh, Colorado!

#47734 01/25/05 08:53 PM
D
dcid Offline OP
Thanks for the quick replies kentvw.

I'll email you for some information. I hope the email in your profile is the current one.

And thanks for the advice on the resume and interviews. To tell you the truth, the only interview I've had was right when i graduated school, and the first question I was asked was "Can you start on monday?" So I'm really not experienced with the interview prosses.

How did you know I collect paperclips? Maybe it would be a good idea to take that off my resume, thanks.

dave

#47735 01/25/05 09:53 PM
G
Dave,
Another idea might be to visit your local electrical wholesale houses. They can tell you who the major players are and might even tell you who to avoid if you promise to keep your mouth shut. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard