ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
I have the 1-1/4 bender with the lever. I weigh 150lbs as well. I think the 1" HW is harder to bend than the 1-1/4 TW. Also, if I know I'm bending 1-1/4 TW I buy the other EMT from the supply house. They have Allied, and then either Wheatland or some inch-marked kind. I get the non-Allied because it bends easier.

I rarely bend with it alone. Even if I'm using it with my friend who is 200lbs+ we'll both get on it. I think I've used it enough to justify having it, it has come in very handy.

Between the hickey and the bender, I think the bender will lend more versatility when you go to use it on EMT. Like you said, with the HW, you're better of with pre-bends.

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 01-12-2005).]

J
I gave up on using 1 1/4 hand benders a long time ago...especially for rigid!
Cheap solution, which works fine for offsets and such, is the $70 hydraulig bender sold at Harbor Freight. The shoes are designed for thick wall pipe, and the instructions tell you to fill the pipe with sand...but I simply do even EMT 'as is,' by making my bends gentle, and in multiple steps.
Like you, I buy factory-made 90's and such.

L
I'm 160 and use a hicky for 1" ridgid, as stated before works good for offsets and kicks. Rod

E
e57 Offline
Our Company has an 1 1/4" bender without the power foot lever. I am 210lbs, and I have to find a wall to lean on, and stand on the back with both feet, lean back and balance on it, (using the wall) change position, so I can push down after about 30 degrees, put my head against the wall for balance with both feet on the bender to complete the bend. Just thought I'd whine a little....

Or, two people, one stands, the other pulls. (The heavier of the two stands.)

Another company I worked for in the past had the one with the foot, I could do that myself much easier...

I also worked with a giant of a man who was 6'4" 350+lbs who made it look as if he were bending 1/2"!

Anyway I think any sizable company should have one. (With the power foot) As going without and using factory 22's, and 30's, and 45's gets ugly, and a real pain if you're short that one bend, and have to waste time to go get one.

Either way, I would not atempt 1" rigid with it, not designed for the purpose. A 1" R hickey would do well there. After sometime with it, you'll be doing 90's with it too.

But if you're looking to invest in a versitile bender for the medium stuff look for a Chicago style up to 1 1/2".

I had an idea a while back to build a better bender, but I don't own any machining or forging tools....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
C
I'm 240. I'm also 6'2". I also wish someone would steal my 1-1/4 EMT bender. [Linked Image]

1" Rigid is tougher to bend with it, IMO.

I can bend 90s, but I'd much rather not.

It's all about integrity.
N
I have used my 1-1/4" bender for both 1-1/4" EMT and 1" rigid. It is a pain but since I am 6'1" and weigh 295 it is not that bad. Very few short or light electricians have the necessary heft to use this tool effectivly. Since I can I do not have to buy all those 90s or 45s. But at the end of a day I am tired and my old body is sore.

When I can I am getting a chigago type bender for the 1" and above conduits. It is easier on your body and allows almost any worker to bend the conduits as necessary.

I have two of the hand benders because I use 1 for the 1' RGS/IMC and the other for 1-1/4" EMT. If I use the one I have used for RGS, some times I wrinkle the EMT when bending a 90 especally if my balance is off a little or the floor is slick.
good luck

ed
R
royta Offline OP
Well, I was forced to buy what was available. I picked up an Ideal 1 1/4" bender. I only bent a couple 45's and a 2 1/4" offset with it. I'm not sure if I would be able to bend a whole 90.

Thanks for the help.

D
I don't know how you guys do it..I hate using my 1"EMT/ 3/4"RMC hand bender.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard