ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#470 01/27/01 06:36 PM
C
cinkerf Offline OP
Fire alarm systems in major City office buildings can be very sophisticated and complex. Does the "average" Electrician usually install these systems? I've found the "norm" is for the Electrical Contractors to install the raceway, boxes, etc. and the Fire Alarm Company Technicians to make necessary connections and do the programming work. How does it normally work in other areas of the Country. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

cinkerf (Frank)
Frank

#471 01/27/01 07:12 PM
S
Up here in VT , electricians can spec to NFPA 72, & install to 70, no problem.

Recently the state introduced an attachment license for fire alarms,with continuing ed for maintainence.
[Linked Image]

#472 01/27/01 09:25 PM
C
cinkerf Offline OP
Sparky,

Do your Electricians do the programming work associated with the fire alarm system?

cinkerf (Frank)

#473 01/28/01 08:20 AM
D
Our company has been installing fire alarm systems for about 10 yrs. now. Every situation is different, some jobs we only pipe and run wire, other jobs it's a complete system including programing.

#474 01/28/01 08:39 AM
S
Well, if you mean the smaller edmunds or fci panels, most anyone can read the directions, disconnect the strobe/lights and usually get it right without driving the occupants nuts.

If you mean the bigger units, with the "addressable" heads, (which are cool, because you can now T-tap) there may come along a tech with a lap-top.

Given the latter specialty ,and because they are dealers of certain makes ,alarm companies can outbid the average sparky .So i figure our trades involvement will end up as in your first post.. [Linked Image]

It seems to me that there are also some pockets of special service, for instance, we had to call the Gamewell guy up from Boston .
Boocoo $$$, paid both ways, lunch and some serious strokin' from the locals...makes you wonder if you had to do it over again.. [Linked Image]

#475 02/24/01 03:00 AM
S
Here in the NYC area fire alarms require a special license. You even need a certificate of fitness to operate them in certain buildings. But on the installation side I have installed them as a fire alarm technician, both conduit and wiring, and have also "advised" Local 3 electricians on installations. The programming is usually done by the vendor meaning the manufacturer of the Fire alarm panel or system.

#476 03/05/01 10:32 PM
C
Up here in Canada we get a Fire Alarm Technician certificate in our fourth year of school. And to reply to Sparky, yes T-taps are nice but have you ever tried to trouble shoot a FA system with T-Taps.....aaargh impossible.

Link Copied to Clipboard