ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47168 01/11/05 11:25 AM
J
Joey D Offline OP
I have an existing main panel that has the water meter under it about 2ft below and it's off the wall 10 inches. Inspector says to move the panel as the code says it can't be mounted above the water meter. I didn't see it so here I am asking. Thanks.

E
Clearence area for Panel is
24" to sides
36" to front
from ground to Panel

E
110.26 covers clearances about panels. There are two parts: the working clearance in front (30 x 36) and the dedicated space above and below (equal to the footprint from floor to ceiling).

Earl
R
It is a violation of 110.26 (3), but You say it is an existing situation

What type of authority does this inspector have that he can have you change an existing condition, or what type of project are we talking about?

Roger

J
Joey D Offline OP
I am changing out the panel to a new panel, thats it.

R
Joey, the inspector has a valid stance.

Roger

E
File under "why people avoid permits". Tough to say without seeing how obsructed the panel is but I do service upgrades like this all the time and never have I moved the panel location. Burdening the homeowner with an added cost might not be an option for them. Thus they will do nothing or avoid permits altogether. Rule 3 from Mass Elec Code. "Addtions or modifications to an existing installation shall be made in accordance with this Code without bringing the remaining part of the installation into compliance with the requirements of this Code. The installation shall not create a violation of this Code, nor shall it increase the magnitude of an existing violation." Where does this leave us?

D
If it were anything but a water meter I'd suggest that the plumber violated the code and needed to move the plumbing. That's the position some VERY NICE inspectors have taken in the past. It really shouldn't be too much work to relocate to one side with a 90 degree sweep.

Dave

D
...or add a couple floor-to-ceiling 2X4s and bring the panel away from the wall a foot or two with a long RMC nipple.

Dave

E
Dave moving the panel is obviously easy. What about all the airing that has to go back into it. Not likely that it will reach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard