ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#46961 01/06/05 07:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Until today I had no idea there was a product or rather products out their like this.
http://www.controlcable.com/details/item.asp?id=43104471%7CLE332%7C

Mix and match for any given requirements and Rock and Roll.

#46962 01/06/05 08:36 PM
H
Great if you want to waste your money!

-Hal

#46963 01/06/05 09:32 PM
E
e57 Offline
I too will second on the waste of money!

Don't get me wrong, they look nice, and I get a better price from my supply house, but..... I HATE THEM! They are inferior to standard a 66, or 110 block, with the same splitter.

For the money you're spending, and for not much more, you can do this....

For residential applications:
I take the cabinet that that would go in. (The large one, or equivilent Clear Channel brand) A switch as diconnect for the receptical inside next to the cabinet.

I put a 96 - 288 pair 110 block in it for all of the UTP, and land them all. http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/support/documents/specdesign/pdf/41XX6XF4.pdf

(Phone on one row, Data on the other.) Interconnect all of the phones, if not punch a hole out of the cover to a KSU mounted on the wall above it. Take all of the Data to an M-block mounted patch block, or two, and to the hub or switch velcro'ed below that inside the cabinet. (Modems at the desk, as the need to be reset from time to time.)DSL filter too.

(If I have room, and sometimes it becomes two panels as I can have up to 30+ wall plates to cover on larger homes) CATV splitters, below all of it. The only one of the items I ever use out of the whole line of modular guts the make is possibly a CATV amplifier, for signal boost is runs are really long, or I have too many terminations to maintain signal strengh.

The only thing outside the box is the KSU, if they have one, otherwise the same appearance.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-06-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#46964 01/07/05 12:00 AM
E
It's not a waste when HO's are paying for it and giving you money to install it. I have a lot of customers that want the new "Hi Tech" Panel. Waste of money or money maker?

#46965 01/07/05 12:55 AM
H
Just because the homeowner is an idiot doesn't mean that you should go along with it. You are supposed to be the professional and know better.

There is nothing new or "hi tech" about these things except that it's a new way for the manufacturers to gain access your wallet.

All it is is a box to hold what has been done on a plywood backboard for at least the last 30 years. You don't cram everything into a little box and YOU get to choose the components. In short, these things are for people who don't know what they are doing.

No professional would use these things because they are inflexible and you wind up mounting stuff outside the box anyway.

E57 and other threads here talk about the right way to handle this.

-Hal

#46966 01/07/05 01:38 AM
C
Hal, just because you don’t like them doesn’t meant they are garbage or that anyone using them doesn’t know what they are doing. Pretty much every low voltage contractor in my area uses structured wiring panels for residential projects. I use Leviton and OnQ panels on some projects. I don’t use all the modules but do use some of them. In my area there is no such thing as an unfinished basement so the low voltage wiring usually ends up in one of the closets making the use of some type of enclosure is necessary. I live in a very high tech area and many homeowners will research what equipment and wiring they want installed. If they want me to use structure wiring panels I’m going to use them. The low voltage wiring for homes in my area often ends up over $100K. If you read Marks (e57) reply again you will see that he does use these cabinets but not the modules.

Curt

Curt Swartz
#46967 01/07/05 08:18 AM
E
New thread title "Grumpy old men". Geez guys just because YOU don't like it I guess NOBODY should use it. [Linked Image] "Damn these new fangled motorized buggies....they are junk! Old Trigger never needs any of that whatcha call it.....gasoline.."

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 01-07-2005).]

#46968 01/07/05 02:56 PM
H
If you read Marks (e57) reply again you will see that he does use these cabinets but not the modules.

I have nothing against using cabinets, just not that JUNK! For $100K I think you could be more "creative" and do something better!

And yeah, I get REAL grumpy when I get get called to service or add to a system installed with one of those and I have to jump through hoops because it's useless for what I have to do. Then you see the customer get real grumpy when they find out that it all needs to be replaced and what it's going to cost.

The point here is that any installation like this NEEDS TO BE MADE AS FLEXIBLE AS POSSIBLE to allow for future growth and changes. That simply isn't going to happen with this stuff that crams everything into a little box in a closet.

Maybe this issue isn't important in a small condo or residence but most of the residences around here will want data, CATV, satellite and key systems (PBX) with ever changing multiple lines and this doesn't all happen at once. Many times we are there after the fact and the house has been wired by some misguided individual who thought it was cool to use one of these "structured wiring" things. Unfortunately it's useless to us and all the wiring is usually too short when we go to remove it and throw it in the dumpster. [Linked Image] On top of that we have to mess with CATV and data because it's all in the same damn box!!

This isn't progress, this is the dumbing down of an industry. These things were created to make it easy for people with little or no knowledge of the data, CATV and telecom crafts to install these systems.

Sorry, but when you know what you are doing you build your own distribution to fit the circumstances.

-Hal

#46969 01/07/05 03:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
WOOOO! HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never thought this would raise so many Hackles! I hope the sripts are filled for the blood pressure medication!

Hey I will admit that I know little about residential VDV.

This item looked kinda nice for a simple install since it is all in one and looks like it will meet my own needs rather well for the money.

#46970 01/07/05 05:49 PM
This seems to be a HOT topic for some, let's keep it professional please!

Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard