ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sandro Offline OP
Anybody have any real world experience with this? Does it strip the Romex sheath easily as they say? Hate to spend money on a tool that may not work well.
www.kleintools.com Click on what's new, then scroll down.

P
My supply guys would usually be willing to let me try it out if I was interested. for me, my strippers are my side cutters. I snip around the circumferance of the NM and pull it off in one piece. Very clean.

Sam, San Francisco Bay Area
E
e57 Offline
I use a dull utility knife. No kidding! I never change the blade. Sharp enought to barely cut the sheath, and dull enough not to cut the wire insulation. (Slash up some sheet rock and your knife will dull up enough for this porpose really quick.) Same blade for a year at a time. Most of the time I just score the sheath and pull it off. I have strippers on my needle-nose for 14 and 12, past those sizes the dull knife comes out again.

Some of my guys have them strippers. (Adding 10/2 is a new part, but they have been around a while) They only work for 2-wire, and are kinda long and bulky. And if you jam it in the wrong, or partialy in the slot, you damage the conductors.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
When we were doing residential I would carry a romex ripper. It's a cheap tool that tears the jacket lengthwise.

Haven't carried one for a few years though.

E
I have the one that strips 14/2 and 12/2 and I have used them for a few years. There is no better or easier way to strip romex that I have found. Makes a perfect cut at the sheath that goes into a plastic box or connector without getting hung up. I know there are guys here that will turn their noses up at anything new or different [Linked Image] but when used properly these are the best.

B
Sandro, I also have a pair of duel cutter/strippers like Electricmanscott has and really like them. They work really great on 12 and 14 but have their limits. Don't try and slip in a #10 or larger, it will take the life out of your tool. If used within it's design you will enjoy using them. But if you don't fancy two or three tools in your pocket vs another trip to the truck for a pair of lineman pilers or dikes they'll be a great addition to your tool bag.

T
I carry the 14/2,12/2 stripper w/ me constantly. I never had a problem w/ them cutting into the conductors. From my point of view there is no quicker,easier way to strip romex. ToHo

R
I think it would be nice if they made these with a 90 degree angle at the tip, so you could reach into the box to strip. As is, you would have about 3" of NM sheath inside every box, which would therefore require a total length of cable of not less than 9". That would get messy pretty quickly.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
C
I have the Klein Kurve K 1412 and they are good.

My only complaint is that they went dull really quickly. I don't know if this a widespread problem or if I got a defective pair.

However, I recommed the Ideal Reflex dual Romex stripper above the Klein. It is smaller, lighter and sharper.

I don't use romex strippers exlusively, because there are still a lot of situations where I need to use a utility knife, like the one that Ryan mentioned.

Peter
V
Gardner Bender(GB)makes one that is stainless steel that workd better than the Klein or Ideal http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...&productId=200304051&R=200304051
I always remove the sheath before it enters the box
[This message has been edited by velect (edited 01-05-2005).]

[This message has been edited by velect (edited 01-05-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard