ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Hi,

I'm currently preparing for the electrician's licensing exam. Are there any good books or preparation materials? I heard the exam was still based on the 1999 NEC. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and happy new year everyone!!!

R
Illinois does not have a state test or license.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Y
But Chicago does (supervisors)and its good all over the State of Illionis . If your taking the Chicago test Make Sure you get the Chicago Code Book , Its not the same as the N.E.C.

R
But Chicago does (supervisors)and its good all over the State of Illionis
Chicago has its own code and most of the rest of Illinois where there is an electrical code uses the NEC. How does a test on the Chicago code help where the NEC is used?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
It's probably no more impracticle to except the Chicago license, if you use the 2002 NEC, than it is to except a license issued because you past a test in 1984 on the NEC.

C
CRW Offline
Unless you're in the City of Chicago or the immediate suburbs, forget about all that. Go to the municipality or local government office where you will apply to take the test. The test application or the office should give you the information as to which version of the NEC or other codes that the test is based on. Find this information out for certain, because this is crucial for your studying. Then get the Electrician's Exam Preparation book from Mike Holt for the corresponding year of the NEC. Spend a few months studying regularly to become more familiar with the lay-out of the NEC, and develop speed in answering code questions. Aim to find the exact wording or answer for any question you find in the practice questions. Learn to do every type of calculation in the book, and memorize the location of the applicable code sections that the calculations are based on. For instance, residential and commercial load and service calcs, motor calcs, conductor fill for boxes and conduit, ampacity derating, etc. Study the calculation examples from the Annex D (Appendix D in the '99) in the back of the NEC. Try taking the free online sample exam from mikeholt.com. Also I found Tom Henry's Master Exam Workbook helpful, which contained practice exams which were in a form simlar to the actual test questions.

A
You did not say where your planning on testing. Like others said some tests are 1/2 about there own rules that are just backwards of the NEC. You need to study the local book too. They might give you more details about the test if you ask. How many of these types of questions and percentage needed to pass.

One thing that I hate about working in this state is there is no universal liciance. It dose not seem to matter much what the state law is. They run the cities and villages like they want. A liciance in one IL manisapality should be good any where in the state but it's not.

Something to look at is what it takes to renew your liciance. DesPlains was good for lifetime if you pay your dues but they don't test anymore.

Schaumburg you test once with a score over 80% and have to pull a permit every 3 years to keep from retesting. Of coarse it costs $$ in all kinds of charges to get that permit. You wont get very far with a Schaumburg liciance in Chicago.

Everyone says Woodstock is too easy. Rockford there is no test just fill out the form and pay $25. I don't know if a Rockford Lic pulls much weight. I hear Mundline, Niles, and Naperville test too.

Gurnee you have to pay to take a test every year with a score of 70%, have 4 hours continuing education every 12 months, and then $75 for a liciance. My liciance is somewhere elce but I have to take a 4 hour corse to work there. You just can not expect to work in a new town without costing you $$ and a run around.

Something to think about too if you plan on doing a lot of small service calls. If it's a strict town and you do a nothing job with out a permit and get caught. Your working in the town your liciance from your might get it suspended. But no other town can revoke your liciance. So it's safer not to work where your orginal liciance is from.

I need to renew by the end of this year so I'm looking for the best place to test too.

Tom

A
Here is a link of the proposed bill HB1004 that would create a state liciance in IL. I don't like some things about it but it's a start.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...amp;LegId=1494&SessionID=3&GA=93

Y
I carry a Chicago Supervisors License and our company pulls permits all over the State.The Chicago Code is Now on the N.E.C. Format just a Lot stricker. When I took the Exam about 5 yrs ago it was on the older format and older Code. That has changed since then.

A
Yoopersup,

Once you passed the Chicago test what do you need to do to maintain your liciance? Do you have yearly fees? Do you have to retest?

Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard