ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46307 12/18/04 12:25 PM
M
Hi,
I used to loop catv outlets. It looks like nowadays each outlet gets its own run to the exteriror wall where the interface will be.

Whats the best way to do the cabling for a sattelite setup?

thanks

greg

#46308 12/18/04 12:32 PM
N
Hi Greg
I've found the most user friendly way to wire a satelite system is seperate home runs of both RG6 and a cat 3 or cat 5 phone line from each TV location to a central location, usually close to where your utilities enter the building. It is also a good idea to run 2 RG6 cables to the dish location so they have the option of having 2 seperate receivers.

John

#46309 12/18/04 12:48 PM
M
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. This is a two receiver setup from one dish with two LNB's.

I was thinking of running home runs to the entertainment center in the living room but since there is only two main feeds I was considering slaving off of each main feed for the regular bedrooms and family room.

You can watch what the main receiver is getting but nothing else right?

thanks for the comments

-regards

Greg

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 12-18-2004).]

#46310 12/18/04 02:10 PM
Hi Greg:

Actually, to feed additional rooms off of the feed(s) from the dish, you need a "multiswitch" [looks like an ordinary cable splitter, but actually allows multiple sat receivers to access the LNB's at the same time.] They are available at most big name electronic stores. Note that standard splitters or simply "tee"-ing the line will not work and may damage the LNB's or receivers (or both.)

Each room can watch whatever program they want to. The rub is each room must have its own receiver.

Now, if you want to split off the RF OUT from the main receiver at the ent. center, all you need is a standard splitter. But then of course all other rooms can only watch what the main room is watching.

Northbayec's suggestion is the best idea, it will allow for future expansion as well. The only change I would suggest is to send four runs of RG-6 from the dish location (for future upgrade to HI-DEF sat.)

[Edited for spelling]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 12-18-2004).]

Stupid should be painful.
#46311 12/18/04 05:07 PM
M
Hi,
Ok I am very glad I asked. I see why everybody runs a dedicated cable to each outlet.

This is the way I will do it from now on.

Thanks for the information.

-regards

Greg

#46312 12/18/04 05:42 PM
A
Mustang,

Leviton's website has a lot of information about Data wiring, phone, tv and satellite. http://www.leviton-lin.com/installers/default.aspx
or click on this url for a installation guide. http://www.leviton-lin.com/news/documents/guides/USER%20GUIDE.pdf
I use Leviton's multi media centers, usually mounted in a utility room. I run all phone, computer, tv, satellite and speaker wiring for whole house audio to this media center.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 12-18-2004).]

#46313 12/18/04 06:26 PM
W
Many receivers from Dish or Direct have multiple tuners in them so some require 3 cables, 2 from lnbs and one from OTA. I'd think it would be pretty hard to predict what a customer wanted or to cover all the bases.

#46314 12/18/04 10:42 PM
S
We use the leviton structured media panels as well. Our standard is a cat-5 and RG-6 to each tv location and two rg-6's to the attic to pick up the dish. We usually put two rg-6's at the "main" tv location because a lot of people are getting the tivo satelite recievers that require two cables.

#46315 12/21/04 12:48 AM
C
Home runthe TV locations, 2 coaxes each to a "hub" location. Run 2 to the dish, with the easy possibility of more, or 4 right away from the dish to the "hub".

#46316 12/21/04 08:05 AM
John Steinke and I among others were talking about this in the Chat Room last week.
Star topography is the way to go these days!.
All of the system cables come to one single point and all of your joints (for want of a better term) happen there.
Signal conditioning, amplification, attenuation or even modulation should occur at this point, usually called the System Hub.
To Electricians that aren't sure of how RF signals work, this area can be a mine-field, because many of the signals used are measured in micro-volts.
Also, at the same time, if you are doing a whole house installation, I'd recommend that all of the Data-Comms and Phone lines go to the same point.
I'd choose a vacant, but easily accessible area in the roof void, say next to the Man-Hole.
Get a 3ft x 3ft sheet of ply or MDF and a dedicated supply from your panel.
Everything should be in the roof to stop little hands disconnecting the F-connectors, and will save you on low profit call-backs to fix the system.
If you dedicate the supply, you have less chance of interference as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard