ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
detubbs Offline OP
have you guys ever done practice bids on here(for fun) for a fictional job? for instance the moderator or webmaster could give us the material breakdown for a job and we all could "bid" it like we do and see how things turn out? granted due to area differences some maybe extremely high or low incomparrison to everyone else but it still could be fun and a learning experiance for us Estimators / Electricians!

Scott
This was something we kicked around a couple years ago (!!) but never really got started.

I still don't know how feasible it is, but the idea was to make a set of plans available to interested members in a format (some form of CAD?) that could be printed out at a local printer and we could all discuss things like NEC (minimum/++) requirements, layout, takeoff and estimating options.

The idea was to do a couple of different types of buildings and layouts.

What do you all think?

Bill

Bill
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
As far as everyone being able to view the drawings with a free viewer, I was surprised to see that Volo View Express was no longer available from Auto Desk. However, It looks like they still offer a couple other free viewers.... Any opinions here???

I think many estimators have a standard line line I used often. " I don't need the practice anymore". It is not hard to feel that way when you bid day after day and only get maybe 10% of the jobs you bid.

On the other hand. Sure I'll play. Just don't tell me "This 150k sq/ft job bids tomorrow at noon." [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Edit: I do some of my bidding from a pay fee to be on bid list company that uses On-Screen Take off as a plan viewer. But, I view the files in an OST format and don't know if other extensions can be viewed.

I do know that OST is a free download.

[This message has been edited by kentvw (edited 12-11-2004).]

L
LK Offline
We tried this on one of our business chats, I posted a link with the Floor Plan DWG. which was easy to access, However we had only 4 in the room, i think we would have to post well in advance to attract more.
I am ready to try again, this Wed 12/15 at 9:00PM EST.

Les

G
Keep it simple.

If it takes too much time I won't be able to participate.........

It could cut into the time I have to post on internet message boards! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by golf junkie (edited 12-11-2004).]

L
LK Offline
Ok, we will Keep it simple.

This is a flawed plan, for additional work to an existing building, walls and ceiling are open, owner started as DIY job, fans supplied by customer.

Find the errors, correct, and good luck bidding.

Plan at www.millelectric.com/plan3.htm

Discussion for this plan on Wed 12/15 9:00 PM EST Business Chat.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 12-11-2004).]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Oh no!
The first thing I would do is fire off an RFI with a couple dozen questions. Either that or low ball this job and qualify be bejaybers out of my proposal. [Linked Image]

G
Sorry,

Residential is T&M only. [Linked Image]

D
detubbs Offline OP
if this is a new addition, not a remodel, i think i've got a estimate done for the 3 rooms hall and exterior lighting.

Scott
N
Fixing some one elses junk is Time and material only. Latest job of this, I thought the company before me was decent and did good work-- Wrong. So far I have over 90 man hours in just finding what they did and did not do. Plus 15 hours installing all the switches, receptacles and luminares.
Walking the job before hand, I estimated 40 manhours tops.
Thank goodness I bid at time and marerial only.

ed

Link Copied to Clipboard