ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
royta Offline OP
I got a call for another 120V spa. This time, the recep will be located in a wet area instead of a damp area, so I need a bubble cover. Unfortunately, the unit has a GFCI cord end. Why is this? You have to have a GFCI recep anyway. I guess for the older homes that were built prior to GFCI outlets being required outside. However, it has a NEMA 5-20P end, so those older homes probably wouldn't have the 20A recep that would accept both a NEMA 5-15P and the NEMA 5-20P. Anyway, the cord end is about 4.75" tall from center of plug terminals, to the ottom of assembly. It is 2 3/8" wide, and 1 3/4" deep. I need a single gang bubble cover that hangs down at least two or three inches below the bottom of the bell box.

Any suggestions, besides changing the cord end?

M
That's exactly what I did. Change the device to a single NEMA 5-20R and cut off the end of the cord and replace it. With the weight of the GFCI end of the cord pulling on the recepticle it will eventually fail anyway.

GOD Bless and
Merry CHRISTmas
Mark Randazzo

The only situation about the solution may be that the MFG warranty is voided by cutting off the molded factory cord end.

Not saying this is a fact all the time, but I have instances of warranty void decisions on modified factory cords

Can't say I ever came accross a 'oversized' bubble cover.

John

John
O
Ive ended up putting GFCI breaker and a 6-20R with a bubble cover.It has allowed the factory GFCI cord cap to fit.

M
"The only situation about the solution may be that the MFG warranty is voided by cutting off the molded factory cord end."

You're correct, Hotline1. The spa I cut the cord on was quite a few years old and had burned the plug because of a bad connection. It was hanging for years. My bad!

Merry CHRISTmas,
Mark Randazzo

Link Copied to Clipboard