ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45932 12/09/04 12:03 AM
S
I was just wondering how many people ground their switches when using NM in plastic boxes. In the four years I have been in the trade I have never grounded a switch nor have I ever seen a grounded switch. Whenever I ask I am told "thats a dumb rule that nobody does"

#45933 12/09/04 12:31 AM
A
Before it was a code requirement I never grounded my switches but ever since it became a code requirement I have always grounded my switches. When the code first changed there were a few times that I did not ground dimmer switches because they didn't have a grounding terminal but now it seems that they all have a ground wire or ground terminal.

#45934 12/09/04 01:34 AM
D
is that what them there little fancy green screws are for?!

Scott
#45935 12/09/04 09:45 AM
S
Not only do we have to ground the switch on plastic boxes; I got called about a year ago for not grounding the switches in metal boxes. The reason given was: If I had removed the paper that holds the screw to the switch AND the switch rested firmly on the metal box (not by the ears on the drywall) I could forget the grd wire.

#45936 12/09/04 10:18 AM
R
I still write it up as a violation once in a while. Most people here have figured out (after 6 years) that it is in fact a requirement.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#45937 12/09/04 02:29 PM
R
Steve,
If I had removed the paper that holds the screw to the switch AND the switch rested firmly on the metal box (not by the ears on the drywall) I could forget the grd wire.
The NEC does not require this for switches. Look at the wording in 404.9(B)(1) as compared to the requirement for receptacles in 250.146(A).
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#45938 12/09/04 06:02 PM
S
"Snap switches shall be considered effectively grounded if either of the following conditions is met.
(1) The switch is mounted with metal screws to a metal box or to a nonmetallic box with integral means for grounding devices."

I did point this sec out at the time. His response was that "mounted" meant tight and in direct contact. He's a good inspector and normally very fair so it just wasn't worth arguing. We went back and added the jumpers (on 9 switches) like he wanted.

#45939 12/09/04 06:21 PM
M
Hi,
I still see switches here in NW Arkansas in BRAND NEW HOMES that DO NOT have the switches grounded. I thought all metal parts of the electrical system Shall be grounded?

Myself, I could not sleep at night if I did not ground switches. Grounding is the MOST IMPORTANT part of ANY electrical system whether it is in a single room log cabin or a Nuclear Plant. What if a person actually got killed or injured from a switch that was not properly grounded? ( I doubt it) The forensic team would tear you apart..and your insurance would then come after you!

I think this is another one of those REGIONAL things...where you dont get shocked in certain parts of the country!

I say if the device has provisions for a ground then it should be used. Besides I cant remember ever seeing a MODERN switch that did not have a ground screw. It cost money to engineer them and to have them put on the switch so if it was not required, the first place you would see it would be from the manufacturer. If it is a two wire system you must use a gfi to replace an ungrounded switch.

Another thing I see a lot of is POINT OF ATTACHMENT ABOVE WEATHER HEAD! I guess nobody cares!

GREENIES ARE CHEAP!

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 12-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 12-09-2004).]

#45940 12/09/04 06:30 PM
I
Another thing I see a lot of is POINT OF ATTACHMENT BELOW WEATHER HEAD!

It is required to be below the weather head.

230.54(C) Service Heads Above Service-Drop Attachment. Service heads and goosenecks in service-entrance cables shall be located above the point of attachment of the service-drop conductors to the building or other structure.

Exception: Where it is impracticable to locate the service head above the point of attachment, the service head location shall be permitted not farther than 600 mm (24 in.) from the point of attachment.

This just came up at another forum and I messed it up big time. shocked

But in the end IMO, we decided the point of attachment is required to be below the weather head.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#45941 12/09/04 06:49 PM
M
Hi,
I am sorry I meant ABOVE THE WEATHER HEAD! LONG DAY!

Thanks for pointing that mistake out..I went back and corrected my post.

-regards

Mustang

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard