ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#45834 12/07/04 10:18 PM
B
bot540 Offline OP
The contractor that I work for is trying to adapt a new policy. He want's us to pay for mistakes made. For instance one of the electricians forgot to re-install a service outlet on a panel that was upgraded. So he charged him 85 dollars(deducted from his check) to have one of the other guys go out and do it. He's also trying to say that if we fail inspection that we have to go back on our own time to correct the problem. Also he's saying that if we leave something out in a material list(T & M jobs only, I think)that we will have to pay for it.First of I highly doubt that this is legal, secondly has anyone heard of something like this before? Whats your take on it?

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
#45835 12/07/04 10:25 PM
D
Its illegal here in California.

#45836 12/07/04 10:26 PM
N
NOT HERE IN JERSEY

try that with my check and see you in court!!!!!!!!

#45837 12/07/04 10:32 PM
E
While I don't know if it's legal, I say good for your boss. He probably needs to back off a little, but I understand exactly where he's coming from. The mistakes are costing him all his profit and probably more.
We have a very bad problem with nobody filling out their paper work. One form is a check list they are supposed to fill out on the job and if something was missed, fix it before they leave. They haven't been filling it out and then they have to go back a do work that they missed. We have a new policy that just took effect, if they come in without the check list properly filled out they have to go back to the job in their own car, off the clock, and fill it out. Am I a jerk, probably, but there has to be a consequence or they never will do it right.

#45838 12/07/04 10:48 PM
J
Tricky balance here. The workers do need to be accountable to some extent. Otherwise, what incentive is there to keep them from turning off their brains? But some of those measures seem extreme.

The boss is the one whose money is on the table and rear is on the line. Risk. He (/she) is the one putting the chips on the table, and when the company turns a profit, it is his (and sometimes it is shared). So why should it be costing the workers when the risk that the boss takes on (owning his own company) does not go so well.

I think this would be fair if he had a profit sharing plan. When things go well, you all make out, and when you screw up, you all share that too.

#45839 12/07/04 10:54 PM
E
Thin line between running a business, staying profitable and keeping employees happy. The good news is you apparently work for a guy who does not make mistakes, but if he ever does I'm sure he'll hear about it in a big way. Side note, there is no NEC requirement to install a receptacle at a panel when upgrading a service.

#45840 12/07/04 10:57 PM
D
Give people a 'slice of the pie ' as part of their deal, and watch attitudes change.Few will tolerate 'their' money beig wasted>

#45841 12/07/04 11:11 PM
R
Anyone ever heard of the fair labor standards act? It is a federal labor law.

#45842 12/07/04 11:25 PM
A
I thought it was illegal to require an hourly paid employee to work off the clock. I would think the proper way of handling these situations would be to have quarterly performance reviews. The employees hourly pay rate could be adjusted higher or lower based on these reviews. If you have a employee that continues to be a poor performer than I would think this would be grounds for termination. If the employees want a raise then they need to complete the job properly including all paper work. Reward your best workers with higher pay punish the poor performers with hourly pay rate decreases or termination. I think positive incentives get better results than negative incentives. Start docking their pay and making them work off the clock and they just might not show up one day. Word may spread and others will not want to work for you. Your employees are the ones that your customers see. Do you want unhappy employees greeting your customers?

#45843 12/07/04 11:36 PM
H
I can understand to some extent Rather than charge the employee I would keep track of the mistakes talk to the employee about their work and if the problem persists replace the employee. What happens if the boss makes a mistake? I worked for a company that the only way we got any work is if the estimator left about 30%of the job out of the price.Are you going to charge a long time employee for making a mistake?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard