ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
2000xp8 Offline OP
Hey guys,
I'd like to get some high voltage gloves, mainly for residential overhead service changes and upgrades.

I've been doing it barehanded for a while, but yesterday i got caught in the rain, up on a bi-level, and it started working on my nerves a little. I figured i should just get some good gloves, in case this happens again.
I'd like to keep my hands as mobile as possible, so i have no interest in an "overkill" rated set. (if that matters)
I have no clue what brand or rating to buy.
thanks,
Joe

[This message has been edited by 2000xp8 (edited 12-07-2004).]

NJ licensed electrician
S
Don't forget to buy the UV saftey glasses too.

H
Are you aware of what all is required in owning HV gloves .They must be tested every 6 months . I think that cost about $20.00 .So you need a second pair wile your first pair is being tested. Now you only need 1 pair of leather protectors. Everyone in our group has a pair of 2KV gloves plus our trucks have a of 15KV gloves.

2000xp8 Offline OP
hypress, could you explain the leather protectors?

I'm on my own and i'm on a learn as you go basis with some things, so i appreciate all the help.

I had no idea about the testing of the gloves either.

NJ licensed electrician
N
WEll here is a site of a larger company that sells all types of the gloves your looking for.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/searchresults.jsp

NOw as far as testing, im not going to say you dont need to test them as recommended BUT we all know how that goes if you take care of them but the bag for them and use them and put them away after such they will be fine. The test they do uses air to see for any pin holes in the gloves. If your wearing the leather glove over the top this shouldn't ever happen. They usually wear out if you bend them to put them away keep em flat, protect them and they will be fine for doing service changes. hope this is of help. I know we should always follow what is recommneded but sometimes for what your doing it would be overkill.
Best fo luck

If for some reason that link does not work go to : www.grainger.com and search High voltage gloves

[This message has been edited by NJ Wireman (edited 12-07-2004).]

2000xp8 Offline OP
Thanks wireman, i see you are NJ, i was possibly going to get them from grainger, because they are the only ones around that don't have to order them. They're a bit north for me, but one long drive won't kill me.

Do you use 2 pairs at once? One on top of the other, is that how it works? There's alot of pairs there, what's good for me?
thanks

NJ licensed electrician
H
If you are an electrician your employer should furnish safety equipment for you .

N
usually one would wear a pair of the white cotton gloves first (they are super thin to absorb moister) then your rubbers(that sounds funny lol) and the leather protecter gloves over the top.

BY the way they'll ship to ya save the drive

Well hope this was of help

M
The best way to store these type of gloves, is in Special Bag, & ALWAYS cuffs down.
This will prevent any foreign material, like wire, nails, etc from falling into the glove & possibly damaging it !

Link Copied to Clipboard