ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#4556 10/01/01 11:18 PM
D
My name is Desirae DeWeese and I am a student writing a paper for one of my college classes. I am writing it on what being an electrician is like. I need to know how the job has changed over the last few years due to technology changes. I need to know how work is organized, is there sub-contracting, or temporary and part time work. Is there much autonomy, are you in charge of making decisions for youselves? Is work more satisfying now or was it more satisfying in the past? Is work more or less stressful now than in the past? What/ Are there any new technologies being introduced into your field? Do they make work easier or harder? Thanks for reading this and answering any of the questions that you can. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Desirae

#4557 10/01/01 11:59 PM
N
Wow this is going to be a long thread!!!
I'll start with the first question and leave the rest for others or later.
I need to know how the job has changed over the last few years due to technology changes.
The job is constantly changing. You have to make it a full time job to keep up with the ever changing codes and technologies. Probably the biggest most significant change is the effect of modern equipment (computers, copiers fax etc.) on electrical systems. You can't look at designing a building the way you used to. Power quality is a huge deal now. Power quality 20 or 30 years ago came down to weather or not the power was on and somewhere near the desired voltage, Now we are concerned with total harmonic distortion, harmonics, clean sign waves... the list goes on.
Another significant change is the advent of battery operated tools. They have sped up the installations significantly and just made it all around easier.
Nick

#4558 10/02/01 11:06 PM
S
Hi dizzy:
I was in private contracting (not for myself) for 15 yrs, then I taught electricity in the public school system for 5 (til the bums shut my shop) now I'm a gov't electrician. I can probably answer most of your questions but the answers will be too long to put here. Drop me a line at stevemiller@technologist.com and I'll be glad to send a lengthy reply to whatever address you tell me.

Link Copied to Clipboard