ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45360 11/24/04 07:43 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
The post about appliances got me wondering...
I usually install the AC Discos and let the HVAC crew install the whip and wire the condenser.
I'm doing a small (8 unit) subdivision and the HVAC crew don't want to make the final connection.
I wouldn't agree to do this on a 3 phase compressor, but since this is residential, I have been connecting them for a small fee.
I have also been installing a shut-off on the gas-fired furnaces and making the connection to the unit.

What do you guys do.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving,

John

#45361 11/24/04 08:31 PM
D
I do commerical. Around here we connect them.

The whip is always included in our price. I never really looked into this but I guess the standard set of specs has us doing this.

I have actually had AC guys follow one step behind me to start up the units after I hooked it up on fast track jobs.

My best guess as to why we hook them up is its inspected by the electrical inspector so if the AC guys do it and something gets red tagged, guess who gets the red tag?

#45362 11/24/04 10:45 PM
A
I'm in Utah and when I do new construction on a single family dwelling I install the breaker in the loadcenter and run the wire from the load center to the outside wall where the A/C unit will be. The hvac guys install a disconnect and wire from the disconnect to the A/C unit.

#45363 11/24/04 10:45 PM
A
I never had an A/C of furnace hooked up by the HVAC guy. They set the unit and normaly do the low volt stuff. We provide the wips, disconects and hook them up. A HVAC guy told me they sometimes get everything as a kit. Furnace, A/C, line set, pad, disconect, & wip. They just keep the disco and wip for other jobs.

Tom

#45364 11/24/04 10:54 PM
... We always connect them... We have an agreement with the local A/C boys,..they won't touch our disconnects,and we won't charge their linesets... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#45365 11/25/04 07:16 AM
I
Here in MA and RI we do all the line volt work. [Linked Image]

Sometimes the contracts require the HVAC contractor to provide the disconnects and they turn them over to us for installation.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#45366 11/25/04 07:25 AM
I
Just wondering John, when the HVAC contractors do the connection for you do they pull an electrical permit?

That would be required here. they can not work under our permit, we would not let them anyway.

Here if the HVAC contractor even does the control wiring they must have a licensed guy on staff and pull a permit.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#45367 11/25/04 07:42 AM
We do the Line Voltage connections in the unit, and they do the stat wiring.
We supply both whips.
Rarely do we stray from this.

John (Rojosy), Good to see 'ya!

#45368 11/25/04 10:27 AM
Tom Offline
I usually just take the circuit to the disconnect, which I furnish, and leave the rest to the HVAC contractor. Around here, HVAC guys cannot be depended on to do their work in a timely manner (generally speaking) and I am usually done & gone by the time they get around to the condensor & furnace hookup.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#45369 11/25/04 12:05 PM
J
Surely we're not surprised that almost every A/C install violates NEC, are we?

I like to do it all- including the T-stat wire. Trouble is, I often have no idea where the unit will sit.

The almost universal NEC violations are:
-T-Stat wire run together with power leads from the disconnect to the unit, or the wire run unprotected along with the line-set; and,
-The condenser set in front of the disconnect.
-The flex run unsupported.

A mechanical code violation also often seen is failing to mount the condenser on a proper pad; the shipping skid is not a proper pad!

So, desires aside, I usually end up running to the disconnect, making my best guess as to where the unit will sit- then hope for the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard