ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45193 11/21/04 11:25 AM
E
Electric ranges and dryers are sent from the factory without power cords. When you buy one it is also cordless. Most appliance stores will sell you a cord. Some will even install the cord. Have you ever checked the cord installation? I don't think I ever have. The other day I had to replace a four wire cord (installed by the appliance store) on a new unit with a three wire to work with an existing installation. The egc, and the neutral were both together on the neutral terminal. The bonding strap was still in place but the screw that attached that to the frame was nowhere to be found. The very next day, same appliance store different job, four wire cord already installed. Decided to check this one. All wires were on their proper terminals (not very tight), however the bonding strap was left in place. Two screw ups in two days. How many more have I missed? What action should be taken? What would you consider the danger level? Why am I still typing? [Linked Image]

H
Six months ago we moved from a three wire state to a four wire state and in anticipation bought a four wire lead for the dryer. The company moved us and the removal guys contracted a third party to do the install on all the appliances – something to do with insurance, I was not allowed to do it.

So I gave the guys my four wire lead and watched them fit it. Imagine my surprise – as they say – when the set up like Scott transpired. Both ground and neutral landed on the neutral lug with the bonding strap to the grounding lug. “We always do it like this”, they explained. I took special pleading to get them to do it right just to save me the job of dragging it all out and redoing it later.

I suspect most four-wires are miss-wired. Time to get rid of the 120V components of these appliances I say - and get them to run on a gounded 240V system.

C
CRW Offline
Sounds typical. A co-worker of mine said that when Sears delivered and installed his dryer they left the Ground/Neutral bond attached too, w/ a 4 wire cord. They also screwed up something with the cord connector to the dryer too, as I remember.

N
Sounds no worse than letting A/C installers do electical. [Linked Image]

H
A solution would be to require appliance manufacturers to factory install a 4 wire line cord and provide a 4 to 3 wire adapter to be used at the receptacle if necessary. That way nobody has to wire anything.

-Hal

S
Sounds no worse than letting A/C installers do electical.

hey some of us HVAC guys are good with electrical hookups and well some aren't

Link Copied to Clipboard