ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#45042 11/18/04 07:52 PM
S
I'm a little confused here...the inspectors in my area test these AFCI breakers with a tester that is suppose to be an AFCI tester and will not sign off on the job unless they trip with the hand held tester. So if all they have to do is push the test button on the breaker, how come they are not testing them this way???

Don't inspectors receive info on test procedures for AFCI breakers...from IAEI or UL???

Thanx for the feedback guys.

shortcircuit

#45043 11/18/04 08:02 PM
E
the inspectors in my area test these AFCI breakers with a tester that is suppose to be an AFCI tester and will not sign off on the job unless they trip with the hand held tester. So if all they have to do is push the test button on the breaker, how come they are not testing them this way???

The button on the breaker will tell the inspector that the breaker is installed and working, it won't tell the inspector that a particular outlet is protected by that outlet.

#45044 11/18/04 08:48 PM
R
Shortcircuit,
Don't inspectors receive info on test procedures for AFCI breakers...from IAEI or UL???
unfortunately not all inspectors try keep up with this type of information and are content in thinking they are doing things right.

The real problem lyes with those who aren't receptive to having there wrong ways pointed out.

BTW,
I called Etcon today and they said that their isn't anything wrong with the AF120 tester, that it only did not have the proper UL stamp on the tester case they used when they first manurfactured them in 2002.
Did Etcon say why they attached a bogus UL label to their first testers? [Linked Image]

Roger

#45045 11/18/04 08:59 PM
C
The inspector can press the test button on the breaker then verify the outlets have been de-energized with a standard 3-light tester. How do your inspectors test ceiling light and smoke detector outlets?

My Knopp tester (wiggy) will not trip current Square D AFCI's so ther is no way a 10ma load will. Etcon should stop making these tester and recall all of them that have been sold.

Curt

Curt Swartz
#45046 11/18/04 09:06 PM
S
The Etcon guy said that they were useing GFCI tester cases for the AFCI testers when they first started manurfacturing the AFCI testers back in 2002.(Etcon AF120)
Sounds a little shaky to me.I have one of those testers which I bought for 30 bucs back in 2002 and it was the only one available.Think they were trying to get something out on the market to sell before anyone else and tried to avoid proper UL listing procedure? If so why wasn't there a safty recall posted at the supply houses?

shortcircuit

#45047 11/21/04 01:45 PM
G
Last Thirsday I went to A Down East Acc. meeting in Ellesworth ME. and one of the members said he had some AFCI breakers trip every time he pushed in the test button. Only problem is that the service had not been connected up yet!

#45048 11/21/04 06:38 PM
W
Bill;
I printed the UL warning on the etcon tester and posted it at my supply house. There was a case in which I mentioned in an earlier post of an inspector who used an etcon AFCI tester and flunked him three times till we proved his tester in adequate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard