ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
e57 Offline OP
Yep, it's official! California has an additional six months for certification testing of Electricians state wide.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/DAS_CAC_Actions.htm

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
It probably wouldn't hurt to point out that this is the test completed-and-passed-by date.

The State can take a couple of months to process an application before you even get approval to take the exam. Then you have to schedule a date with Experior for the test, and I'll bet it's getting more & more crowded as time goes on.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-01-2004).]

D
In the General portion of the bill it says they are concerned with electical connections, so I guess you just have to show them you know how to correctly install a wire nut, split bolt, or tighten a lug or screw, right?

If I had to jump through a hoop like this after 10 years as an EC, I'd double my rate.

Dave

D
And, of course, all the electrical inspectors will have to pass the exam also, because only someone passing the exam whould be qualified to inspect the work, right?

Dave

S
THanx for the info e57. I sure appreciate the update. Not so much for what is going on in California, but the states as a whole. Illinois is trying to get their act together and I'm sure they will look around to see what others are doing or done. Thanks again!

Steve

D
I still haven't seen anything official on enforcement. Looking at the law that was passed it is totally voluntary.

D
BTW, I only speak spanish now:

"The CAC passed a motion to extend the test deadline for monolingual Spanish speaking candidates for one year -- until Jan. 1, 2006."

Yo qiero taco bell.

E
e57 Offline OP
It is NOT voluntary Senior dmattox, all Electricians as employees of C-10's, who use tools, connececting 100va or more. MANDITORY!

As for enforcement, I have it from word on high, from the Consultant hired to impliment the program, that "Insurablity" will be the enforcement method, i.e. No Certified Employees, no workmens comp, NO WORK! (The DIR also sets rules for the workmens comp' companies. And has a new "Enforcement dept".http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/dlse.html )

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
It hardly seems fair that for 6 months Certified Electricians will be competing with non-Certified Mexican Electricians, if I'm reading this right.

Illinois has state testing for plumbers, and the plumbers charge more than the other trades, charge for estimates, etc. When I call a plumber I expect about a $200 minimum. So in the end thinning the herd can be good.

I squeaked by the last test with a 93/100, so I might get lucky again. I feel a little sorry for the younger ones trying to get in. I self-studied 200 hours (in a few months)to get a license. They'll have to work for someone 4 years to get it.

I have this nagging feeling that it won't quite accomplish what it indends though. I see a lot of Mexican crews in other trades and know they're low-paid, & uninsured. With a Spanish NEC it's only a matter of time before they're doing electrical work. I really don't think the low-paid & uninsured will disappear with this certification testing. Low-paid foreign workers have always been a profitable part of the American economy (including my ancestors).

Dave

S
To Dave55
Dave, you wrote:
"And, of course, all the electrical inspectors will have to pass the exam also, because only someone passing the exam whould be qualified to inspect the work, right?
Dave"

Inspectors have been required to be certified for some time now. Another state law. You wouldn't know it by some of things that are still asked for out there. It is getting better, though.
I've taken the IAEI, ICBO (now ICC) and the state electrical certification exam. The elect. cert. exam is by far the easiest. I didn't have to take but I wanted to. I used to work as an electrician (I still am one) so it was legal for me to take it. Besides just for personal reasons, I wanted to for the same reason you put in your post.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard