ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
These are really great stories, guys.

I'm knocking on wood as I write this, but in 20 years I've never cut a pipe or wire while cutting drywall. I also never use a reciprosaw on drywall. I always use a hand drywall saw, so I can feel if I'm cutting anything more than drywall. It takes a little longer, but then I can leave the plumbing tools at home.

Dave

E
Well said Dave.
I used long time ago sawzall to cut sheet rock and end up cutting electricle wire. After that never used sawzall for this purpose. If I need fast cut I use rotozip with depth set 1/8 more that width of sheet rock. It works fine and after work put same piece back by using some backing stuff like wood or other piece of sheet rock.
Skill saw can also be used but make sure depth set of blade is acurate.

[This message has been edited by electricman786 (edited 10-28-2004).]

M
Hi,
Nice story...seen days like that myself...the "SERVE" is called a "HEAD" where I am from and we use a "MARES TAIL" to pull with.

-regards

Mustang

E
Heh! [Linked Image] Gas.

Early on in my career, a GC hired me to help him convert a service to underground.

He'd just bought a rural, small, two story, river front home for his "escape place." The home was built halfway up a wooded river bluff. The bluff is about 300' high.

After the GC and I had spent the entire day working the rented trencher down the slope from the home through a thicket of dog hair understory and way too many roots, we reached the last 30 feet. 5:15 Saturday afternoon. . . The last 30' was flat and open, across a narrow gravel lane and over a bit to the pole mounted transformer. I'm making good time, visions of evening relaxation starting to form. . .when a cloud of dust rises up beside the trencher bar!!! In one liquid instant of emerging realization, I cut the ignition and RAN.

The GC had taken off up slope to get his phone just as quickly, and, after enlisting the gas company's assistance, we waited. . . We blocked off the lane. The dust eventually cleared and all that gave evidence that there was something odd (other than the trencher stopped in the middle of the lane) was the whistling howl from the gas main.

It started to rain heavily. The trench drew runoff like flies on s**t. Now there was a roiling muddy brown cauldron at the trencher bar and I'm imagining mud squirting out of burner orifices for miles. . .

The gas company finally arrives, pulls back the road, fuses in a new 2' section 2" plastic main. 45 minutes. While he's cutting out the damaged section, the pipefitter starts explaining that this is only a 20 pound line, that I was fortunate. He says, "Most of the mains over this side of the county are steel running upwards of 600 pounds. When we come out to those, we generally don't have to dig first, and the trencher is in parts and well out of the way."

It was a long time before the blood returned to my head.

Al Hildenbrand
T
twh Offline
Attic Rat, when your helper helps you finish a job is less than quoted time, do you share the extra profits with him? Of course not.

If your helper does a really good job and you get work references from the customer (known in generall accepted accounting practices as "good will"), when he leaves your employment, do you pay him a commission for his effort? Of course not.

If your helper has a friend who hires you to do work, do you pay your helper a finder's fee? Of course not.

He who shares in the profits, also takes the losses. He who shares in the losses, shares in the profits. If you make your helper pay for losses, you have a new partner. When he leaves, get your check book ready.

... I see what you're saying,twh,but I'm also trying to teach the lad a valuable lesson.Money talks,and if all else fails,he'll be a tad bit more responsible in the future,...if he knows it's gonna come out of his paycheck..This is the language these kids understand..if I were to absorb the cost for his mistake,he'll be more apt to screw up again,and just say,.."Oops, sorry Russ,it won't happen again,.." and expect just a little yelling from me and then it's over....No,this way he has to take responsibility for his actions,otherwise he knows he'll be paying for it...just some "child psychology" that works,..it did when I was coming up the ladder..
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
T
twh Offline
You yell at your helper?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard