ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
... I was honestly missing "The Adventures of Attic Rat" stories...

... Well Wewire2,I just got the 2nd installment,..it all went something like this...(All True,by the way),...This past Monday was a nightmare,..my helper called in sick,and I had a pretty difficult snaking job lined up for that day,..it was a pull from the basement of this 60-80yr old house,up 2 floors to the attic,all riding beside the waste vent that exited the roof.I was to be pulling (2)- 12-3 Romex lines,and(2)-14-3's for additional circuits on the 2nd floor..After a couple of shots I was able to receive the snake in the basement bathroom drop ceiling,which was where the vent pipe started it's ascent.
...I made up my "serve",..I don't know what you guys call it,..(the attaching of the wires to the snake hook)..and ran upstairs to the attic to begin pulling.I thought I'd covered ALL of the bases,to save a few dozen trips up and down,..ie;..unrolling plenty of cable,keeping the pathway clear,removing customer property that may get broken..but as I was in the attic,..(mind you,I'm 2 floors up),..I heard a deafening,mind-numbing crash,...The H.O. was home,and called up to me,.."Did you hear that,..is everything OK?" I took a few seconds to respond,..still wondering what the heck could've caused such an earshplittenloudenboomer..I ran to the basement only to find the bathroom floor filled with water,and the toilet still "running"..what I then saw almost literally made me soil myself..
The toilet,which was about 3feet adjacent to the area I was working in had a small knick-nack shelf above it,mounted directly above the toilet tank,maybe some 3 feet above on the wall..once held (among other things) a glass enclosed fragrance candle,that somehow got knocked off the wall,and fell THROUGH the toilet tank lid..splitting the tank lid in two..and the candle was now in the tank,which caused the tank to flush,but broke the valve filler thingy and water was spraying out of the tank now all over the wall and floor...I panic'd,..and went for the "speedie" valve on the side of the toilet..of course it was 10,000 years old,and started leaking as I tried to tighten it...I was definetly gonna have a coronary right at about that time,..and then ran to the main water shut-off for the house.Thank God,..that held,and the H.O. now stood at the top of the basement stairs looking like she was about to go into convulsions...I explained what must of happened,that the snake,or wire,had gotten a loop in it,and knocked the offending candle(depth charge)into the toilet tank..To make a long story longer,I called a buddy o' mine who is a Plumber,and he was in the area,and came by to help out..
He put a new "speedie"valve on at the toilet,and replaced the broken tank filler valve thing-a-ma-bob...I mopped up the mess,and lucky the sump pump drain was close by..I finished the installation that day,and had to replace the toilet tank lid,which wasn't easy,because the toilet was made in 1963,..American Standard..it took us a while for my Plumber buddy to find a tank lid that would fit,and that was the right color,..(off-white),...but we finally found one in his shop..I had to give the dubious H.O. a discount that day,and wound up making 1/2 of what I wanted to...I then went home,..and had me a nice STIFF drink!!!!
Russ.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
D
Thanks, Russ. I needed that. Great story.

Dave

S
Russ, it sounds like you and I might make more money writing a story about our experiences than doing electrical work [Linked Image]

T
twh Offline
When things go bad, I remind myself that they could get worse. This is a good reminder. My day could have been worse, I guess.

[This message has been edited by twh (edited 10-22-2004).]

B
twh (which are one of my brother's initials.. lol!), does this mean in the future one could hear you say, "Ugh, well at least I'm not having one of Attic Rat's days..." ? [Linked Image]

AR, plumbing problems are my absolute WORST issues because I'm not inclined in the least to try to deal with them. I think if my house really had a bad backup from the system, I'd just move out and never look back.

T
twh Offline
I'm thinking of naming the loop in the wire that bungs up a pull an "Attic Rat"

B
AR, just think... you may join the ranks of infamous name-makers! Go YOU! [Linked Image]

G
AR,
Someday I'll tell ya' the story about the time I cut a live water line in an occupied apartment.

You're not alone man!

W
Another classic by "The Rat". I love it.
I hope the next adventure entails some better luck. Don't make us wait too long
for the next one.

L
Attic Rat,

This is the first AR story ive read but, now having done so i will stay tuned for the next one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard