ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43659 10/19/04 11:37 AM
R
rad74ss Offline OP
Does the new requirement for "rain tight" EMT fittings require a gasket between the fitting and the enclosure?

The sites I looked up that UL says are listed for making rain tight fittings either have gaskets at the knock out or gaskets that are ordered seperately.

As a side note. I have been told NEMA 3R enclosures are allowed to have water leak into them as long as they don't cause a short. It seems to me that you would want to do your best to keep water from leaking into any exterior mounted enclosure. Especially when the conduit entry is directly exposed to the weather. In this case a rooftop in Brooklyn.

Robert

While I'm on a roll, does an insulated throat in a connector (EMT/LT/GF) serve the same purpose as a plastic bushing, or is a bushing still/always required?

[This message has been edited by rad74ss (edited 10-19-2004).]

R
rad74ss Offline OP
To answer some of my own questions.

NEMA TYPE 3R

Rainproof and Sleet- (Ice-) Resistant-Outdoor-Type 3R enclosures are intended for use outdoors to protect the enclosed equipment against rain and meet the requirements of Underwriters' Laboratories, Inc., Publication No. UL 508, applying to "Rainproof Enclosures." They are not dust-, snow-, nor sleet (ice-)proof. They shall have conduit hub or equivalent provision for watertight connection at the conduit enctrance when the conduit enters at a higher level than the lowest live part, provision for locking, and provision for drainage. When completely and properly installed, these enclosures shall prevent the entrance of rain at a level higher than the lowest live part.

UL 508
PART II - ENCLOSURE CONSTRUCTION

ENCLOSURE TYPES

2,3,3R

(a) All holes cut by the panel manufacturer for conduit are below the live parts or conduit hubs as marked on the enclosure are used.

(b) No other openings are cut by the panel manufacturer unless the holes are closed with equipment marked for use with that type enclosure (see substitutions below) and installed in accordance with the instructions provided with the closing equipment.

Type Enclosure
3R
Openings may be closed by Equipment Marked
3,3S,4,4X,6,6P

Link Copied to Clipboard