ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43497 10/15/04 12:19 PM
R
rad74ss Offline OP
At the company I work for as an electrical engineer, I worked my way up to it. I worked as a production electrician building units for 2 1/2 years, and have been in engineering for another 2 1/2 years.

The problem now is that when I go out on the floor, the people I used to work with treat me like I'm slumming. Case in point. Today I found a set of units. These are going on rooftops in NYC and surrounding areas. Between the electrical enclosure and the main disconnect was a horizontal run of 2" EMT. There were no gaskets.

I told them they needed gaskets especially since the rest of the unit was EMT/Sealtight. They said that they were told they didn't need them because they couldn't get our standard seals and the plastic caps on. Which I verified as true, and found they had forgotten to put one on and cut it in half to install instead of undoing the wire.

I then told them to take the gaskets off of some LT fittings so they could get a gasket and a cap on each one. Then put the standard seals on the LT fittings since they had longer threads.

They refused. I told them we would get sued if water leaked into the panel and fried the customers controller. They told me to get someone to authorize it. Which as the lead electrician on this job is me. They disagreed.

We always use sealtight and sealing gaskets when conduit is on the exterior of outdoor units, or did when I worked on the floor.

Has anyone else had these problems? How did you handle it?

In this case the units will get the gaskets if I have to do it myself.

Robert

#43498 10/15/04 02:48 PM
C
I dunno, maybe try to leave your old floor job behind you and keep on moving in engineering. You won't be able to be one of "them" and one of "us".
Are "they" production line electricians? Do they have a direct supervisor that they are accountable to? Is that supervisor you? If you are in engineering, is it S.O.P. for you to visit the floor and direct the work of the electricians, or should you let their supervisor/shift leader do that, or notify the Q.A. folks so they can catch it? Most professionals know how to behave on the job, but if it must be done and they refuse to do it(any production job I ever had would have given a "write-up' for that)...
Sounds like you'll have static any way you do it. Good Luck

#43499 10/15/04 07:20 PM
G
Rad,
My previous job was as a product engineer for a manufacturing company. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Be consistent and firm, don't compromise on what you know to be right. Don't do their job for them, once they learn that they can cut corners and that you will fix it, you are hosed.

On the other hand keep the communication lines open. No one knows the product line better than the guys who spend all day every day with it. Input from the production line is invaluable and you won't get it unless you can convince them that you are all on the same team.

Good luck, it's not easy.
Been there, done that.
GJ

[This message has been edited by golf junkie (edited 10-15-2004).]

#43500 10/18/04 03:16 PM
R
rad74ss Offline OP
I was over-ruled on the gaskets and told that since the enclosure and disconnect are 3R, the horizontal run does not need gaskets. They are not sealing it in any way shape or form.

I was told that the enclosures are allowed to leak as long as it doesn't short anything out.

Which brings up a question. In order to be rain-tight the EMT fittings are required to have the proper (new) gasketing in the throat per UL. Don't they also require a seal where they mount to the enclosure? What is the point of the throat not leaking if the connection to the enclosure does.

If the enclosures are 3R "rain-tight", shouldn't exterior connections open to the weather be "rain-tight"?

Robert

#43501 10/19/04 05:31 PM
M
110-12

Link Copied to Clipboard