ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
twh Offline
They do, or did, make a receptacle with two ground screws. It stands out in my mind because there were two ground wires wrapped around each screw. There were also two neutrals and two hots under each of the other screws. 12 wires on a receptacle. When you have that many 12 awg wires in a 2.5 inch deep device box, there just isn't room for marrettes.

C
CRW Offline
e57--Correct me if I'm wrong--are you in the Chicago area? It has always been code there to pigtail the neutral(grounded conductor) even in 2 wire circuits for the same reason as the NEC requires it for multi-wire. Since I started in Chicago, we always pigtailed every wire (well, actually we sometimes stripped a solid conductor midway and looped around the screw instead of pigtailing), and I never spliced on the device until I moved to another part of the country, and only then under the foreman's orders because they considered it faster. Plus, in Chicago we never pulled ground wires in a pipe, so there was no (wire)ground to the box or receptacle. In fact you couldn't even buy green screws at the supply house, they never saw them before.

M
I've seen some older GE Spec. grade receptacles with 2 ground screws, but only one of the ground screws was used in the installation where I saw them.

E
e57 Offline
No CRW, I'm in beutiful (sunny? What-ever, we sometimes never see the light of day here!) San Francisco, California.

On the pig-tailing, I just do not think that devises should carry the circuit, 2-wire of otherwise.

So whats this now, they dont have green screws in Chicago? They do ground devices there, right, what do they use clips?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
A little confusion for me. [Linked Image]..nothing new.

Is a 15 amp receptacle rated for the feed-through of a 20 amp circuit??
My belief has been that a 15A circuit could be fed through the device, but not a 20A.

Not important in my world...I pigtail them regardless...S

UL and other NRTLs do test the feed through strap for 20 amperes continuous on a 15-ampere receptacle. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
A
I got green 10/32 screws in chi land. The receptacles here should be the self grounding type that has the clip on the 6/32. You could also use a ground wire instead but that would be rare.

GFIs here should have a equipment ground pig tail because they don't come with the self grounding clips on the 6/32. I like those premade pigtales with the screws. A few jobs might be speced out as a equipment ground wire in every pipe. Switches never have a ground to them here.

Lots of places here prohibit using a device to splce conductors feeding the next thing.

Tom

Tom

Forgive me for being a little out of touch from being overseas, but could I please ask why the Tunnel type terminal isn't used on electrical equipment in the US?.
[Linked Image]

I
What the heck is a tunnel terminal? [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Bob (iwire),
Here's a picture of a switch that uses Tunnel terminals.

[Linked Image]

The terminals for sockets here are a lot larger.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard