ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#43430 10/15/04 11:36 AM
G
Jps1006 ---

In my area homeowners and business owners are not allowed to do work that requires a permit. Those people are forced to hire a professional if they need to change their electric work. (I am sure that many people including my self are happy to hire professionals.)

My practice is for me to pay for any reinspections or appeal/legal fees that result from my doing work.

The code is not subjective and open to interpretation. In the appeals process (courts) if the work MEETS ANY interpretation of the code it is code compliant. (The inspector can fail work only if it FAILS ALL interpretations.) Kick your inspectors real hard a couple times and they will enforce the just the code.

#43431 10/15/04 11:59 AM
Gentlemen:
Re-inspect fees are basically non-existant here in NJ. The permit fees charged by the municipalities cover ALL inspections required. (Rough, ceiling, trench, bond,TCO, final etc)

Yes, I have had jobs as a AHJ that have numerous "fails" and numerous re-inspects, and it's all within the 'base' fee.

Short & sweet; an HVAC CU replacement ($35) elec permit fee can (and sometimes does) get unlimited inspections. Usually, after 2 fails the "EC" gets a personal call.

Fees are controlled by Municipal Ordinances, and 3rd party fees are contractually set.

Our 'Bond' is State mandated, and no municipal fees (Lic/Reg) may be assessed to State Lic EC's doing only electrical work.

John

John
#43432 10/16/04 02:17 PM
D
I should add that the reinspect fees seem to come from the very small departments around here...every little town or village has a builbing dept.. Many of the smaller towns subcontract the inspections.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard