ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43215 10/06/04 10:32 PM
E
What is advantage of wood back board under a service panel. I have to install a service panel on brick wall. Thinking to use a back board because of uneven surface of wall. What should be best way to weatherize this board. Thanks in advance for your replies.

#43216 10/06/04 11:17 PM
J
What you describe wa once common practice. Yet, the backboard always seems to deteriorate.

A better, easier, and cheaper way would be to mount some of the "thin" strut, then hang your panel from the strut. You then can also use the strut to attach your pipes to the wall.

#43217 10/07/04 01:22 AM
A
We use it to keep the panel off the cold basement wall. When you have something cold like a can of beer in on a warm day the humididy collects on the outside of the can. Moisture does not do it any good. With out getting technical I would say you can see a differance over time. The panel on the concrete does not look so good over time. The one off the wall will look cleaner and shinier.

Another reason would be so a 90 fits in. I find if it's a 2x4 wall with no brick you need about 2" or a 2x4 and sheet of plywood so the factory 90 works.

Some locals require it.

We tend to use scrap wood left from the carpenters. Pressure treated or green would be more ideal. I never seen a panel board rot out.

It is also convenant to mount your GFI phone and cable to.

If the basement is finished around hear the framers leave the studs a bit off the basement wall for the same moisture reason. If it is built out a bit it still can be flush with the wall if it is set up right. If the panel is on the concrete ot would be in too far for a finished 2x4 wall.

Stut is fine but most around here dont spend the extra for it when scrap wood is free.

Anyone ever see an old panel on the concrete where it looked like it took a surge (lighting?) and around the mounting screws the paint is gone with blue colored metal? Looking like the panel moounting screws were grounging the panel to the concrete.

Tom

#43218 10/07/04 02:48 PM
S
SJT Offline
What we do, is to take a 3/4" 2'x4' cut of good plywood, then hit it with a weatherproof coat of white primer, and then 2 coats of weatherproof (battleship gray) paint. I paint both sides of the board. When it goes on the wall with the panel, it looks good. A little overkill, but I'm sure it will last as long as the panel.

#43219 10/07/04 10:08 PM
C
My supplier sells pre-painted black backboards, 2'x4'x3/4" plywood sheets, for about $18. each. I use them all the time on masonary basement walls. Also makes nailing/fastening cable easy. If I think my customer is adding phone and/or alarm equipment I'll install a second board adjacent to the first for that equipment. For commercial or industrial jobs I tend to go with Kindorf or Versabar for installation of conduit, cabinets, etc. on masonary walls.
Andy

[This message has been edited by cavo148 (edited 10-07-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard