ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#42775 09/25/04 08:12 PM
F
Fred Offline OP
I am curious to know what bus material the panels you most frequently install have. Copper, Aluminum or plated Copper? I know that location plays in to this selection sometimes, but if it doesn't, why do you prefer what you prefer?

#42776 09/25/04 08:42 PM
L
LK Offline
Copper, We use the CH Classic Loadcenters, We just use, good quality material on all our jobs, better contact with copper, and the breakers are better quality.
We tried other Loadcenters, and after problems, and expensive call backs we went back to CH.
SQ D is another good Loadcenter, but we can't use it on service upgrades where they are bottom feed, because SQ D has neutral bars all clustered next to Main Breaker, and all the neutral wires would have to be spliced to reach the bars.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 09-25-2004).]

#42777 09/26/04 06:52 AM
E
LK, you could turn the SQ D panel upside down. Also there is no reason you can't splice the neutrals. I usually use Siemens for no special reason other than thats what my main supplier carries. I could not even tell you what the bus is made from.

#42778 09/26/04 12:38 PM
F
Fred Offline OP
We only have one supply house in town and they carry Siemens ITE. They have their stock loadcenters in either copper or aluminum bus. If you order tubs with interiors that take bolt-ins they are usually plated copper bus. I started dealing with a supply house in a neighboring town last year that carries GE Powerline Gold Series loadcenters. They come standard with tin plated copper bus, even the stab-in loadcenters. SQD QO loadcenters are all plated copper bus. SQD Homeline are aluminum only. I prefer copper and in situations where the loadcenter is in an unheated area, I prefer the plated copper bus.

#42779 09/26/04 06:09 PM
L
LK Offline
Scott,

quote,

"LK, you could turn the SQ D panel upside down. Also there is no reason you can't splice the neutrals. I usually use Siemens for no special reason other than thats what my main supplier carries. I could not even tell you what the bus is made from."

When you turn the SQ D upside down, the neutral bars are at the bottom of the panel,
and yes there is a reason we can't splice the neutrals, the inspectors in this area, will accept, one or maby two splices, and that is it, all other splices they want in boxes outside the panel, also you can't get away with running the lines from bottom to top of loadcenter breaker, it will fail for loadcenter not to be used as raceway, we argued this was not in the code and the inspector said you are right, it is in the manufacture instructions, do it right and i will be back.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 09-26-2004).]

#42780 09/26/04 06:53 PM
N
Say LK, I'm lost on how that inspector is calling the panel a raceway because you ran the conductors from the bottom of the panel to the terminations at the top. Seems to me the same would apply with branch circuits entering at the bottom and running to a top breaker. I would be willing to bet that the manuf meaning is to not allow conductors to run through the panel without terminating. As to limiting the number of splices in a panel, it must be an opinion of the local inspector. Do they have a written ordinance requiring this or does each electrician find out the hard way? Makes for a lot of extra work.

#42781 09/26/04 10:22 PM
L
LK Offline
Norstarr,

Yes thst was my understanding of the manufacture, they say gutter and i belive they mean riser feeds, however more then one inspector has knocked this method down, good topic to bring to inspector site.
As for the splicing in the panel, most inspectors in my area will let one or two get by.

#42782 09/26/04 11:09 PM
S
FYI, Square D has a "remodel" panel with a built-in splice block for splicing all those pesky wires that end up too short when you replace a panel. I wonder what your inspector whould think about that??

#42783 09/27/04 07:09 PM
E
LK I'll count this as another misguided inspector. [Linked Image]

#42784 09/27/04 07:17 PM
L
LK Offline
Solar,

There is a QO Remod Panel?
The Supply house asked if i had any numbers, do you have more info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard