ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Haligan Offline OP
I've tried the squashed loop with several turns around the center. Too many kinks.

I tried 'chaining' it like they do with climbing rope. A big perk of this method is that it is 100% snag-free.

Lately I've been doubling the length up and then chaining it. Downside is that you end up with the male and female ends on one end. With the 'squashed loop' you can uncoil what you need as you go.

There's also those plastic post things for winding. Don't know if there's anything else to try.

Oh yeah. There's also, ball the whole thing up a la Chevy Chase in "Christmas Vacation". (the speediest of all methods)

S
They also do sell these reels used for rolling up wire. Could use something like that.

That and roll-away extension cords that come with the receptacles in the hub of the reel.

E
e57 Offline
Cheap $5 plastic reel available at home destructo, 100' on each roll. Break it, buy a new one.... (one a year if you're carefull)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
I loop it the length of my arm span and then and then some. I count three wraps and then start stacking the loops. I try to leave enough cord at the end to tightly coil around the top of the loop and then bring the other end around and plug them in.

[Linked Image]

(edited to resize picture and reduce loading time)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-11-2004).]

H
Haligan Offline OP
I hadn't scanned the "Home Destructo" (love that!) shelves recently. I have seen that reel thing that looks like a car wheel rim. That would probably work well.

thx all.
Halligan

J
A guy at my church used to be in the Navy. When I help with setup, he insists I roll the cords the Navy way. It's hard to explain without showing, but you make a loop, and then the next loop gets rolled with a backhand maneuver. Basically the second loop counters the coiling effect of the first loop. Trade back and forth as you roll the cord. The Navy requires ropes to be rolled this way so you can hold one end, and then throw the rest and it will uncoil as it flies through the air. It works pretty well. I don't use it on my cord because I was duped into buying a cheap cord that claimed it was rated for extremely low temps. I could pull it out right now and it would hold its coils. Anyway, the key is the cord has to limp for this to work well. Although I might add, it has worked great on my air hose in the garage.

R
I do five foot coils starting at the female end. I have a piece of solid wire about a foot and a half long twisted around the cord at the male end. I just wrap it around the coil and hang it on a hook. The solid wire doubles as a way of tying the cord to a surface mounted box to keep it from falling out of the worn out receptacle. By having the wire at the male end I just untwist it, plug in the cord, tying it in place if possible, and unwind the cord in reverse of how I coiled it up. No tangles that way, been working well for many years.

S
This one popped into my head.

What about a GARDEN-HOSE REEL?!!!!

Or is that too bulky?

C
I use an empty 5 gal. dry-wall compound pail.

Drill a 1-1/8" hole about an inch off the bottom, feed the male end from the inside of the pail to the outside and leave about 3-5', so it can reach an outlet. I drill the hole about half way between the hinge points along the bottom radius. I cut a notch above the hole in the top rim (vertical) about 1/2 " wide down about 1 " then I make another 1/2" notch Horizontal) at the bottom (of it) at a right angle over about 1/2to 1" so to form an "L" I coil the rest of the cord into the bucket. I secure the unused male end up the side and slide it into the notch where it usually locks into the L. Just lift by the handle and walk away!!

When you want to use the cord move the handle lift the male end out of the notch plug it in and walk out the length you need, what you do not need can stay in the bucket.

Ironworkers use a similar set up to keep their lines free.

It doesn’t get all tangled in the truck either.

W
Extension cord?? whats that [Linked Image], I use cordless for most everything and just keep buying more batteries. When I have to use a cord I just chuck in the back cause no matter what I do its a tangled mess when I go to use it again [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard