ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 479 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
e57 Offline
Funny, no one yet has mentioned that they use a Ridgid tubing cutter.
When I first started in the Trade, I was told tubing cutters were not allowed. Something about changing the diameter of the conduit. Never seen one used either,nor have I, but often thought about it.

Are they legal for that use?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
As long as you ream it after the cutting it is fine to use a tubing cutter.

Anytime we have a pipe threading machine on the job we use pipe cutters, of couse that is for RMC but the rules are the same for EMT.

ARTICLE 358 Electrical Metallic Tubing: Type EMT
358.28 Reaming and Threading.
(A) Reaming. All cut ends of EMT shall be reamed or otherwise finished to remove rough edges.

ARTICLE 344 Rigid Metal Conduit: Type RMC
344.28 Reaming and Threading.
All cut ends shall be reamed or otherwise finished to remove rough edges. Where conduit is threaded in the field, a standard cutting die with a 1 in 16 taper (3/4-in. taper per foot) shall be used.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-08-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
Funny, no one yet has mentioned that they use a Ridgid tubing cutter... But I also use my hacksaw and Klein triple reamer.

Learned the tubing cutter trick from my last foreman... glad I did!

Ideal also makes a "triple reamer" called the Bur-Master - swivel cap on the handle, and a much shorter OAL make it my choice over the Klein.

P
We have used all types, but we recently purchased a blade from Milwaukee that fits our 6.5" circ. After cutting 2000' of conduit it is still going strong. Clean cuts. Safety glasses a must, cutting overhead treaturous.

H
Just in case anyone wants to know I looked at the new Milwaukee netal cutting circular saws today. It looked like a good tool but it was made in Tiwan.Ijust could not bring myself to buy a tool made for an American company in the Orient.I am really narrow minded about that and proud of it.It seems that everything we use anymore comes from overthrer

S
AMEN to buying made in America

N
I bought a Milwaukee 18 volt combo the circ. saw,Sawzall US made The blade made in NZ the batteries Japan the flashlight,radio,charger were made in China and the drill mfg in Germany. I forgot the case Chinese too,I do not like giving money to a country that has missles pointed at us.

Edited to change comment.

[This message has been edited by NORCAL (edited 08-19-2004).]

T
Tubing cutter and round file here. both fit in the tool pouch and are easier to deal with when you 20 feet off the ground.

15 inch abrasive cutoff wheel, (looks and works like a powered miter box) for anything heavier than 1 inch EMT.

Carbide blade in a power miter for the plastic.

TW

M
Look at the Makita 4390D cordless recip saw.

Mike Wescoatt
And .........

PVC can be cut with a fishing string! [Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard