ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#40646 07/31/04 12:54 PM
B
One possible retort is, “Would you prefer the local news van with live satellite link?”

#40647 07/31/04 01:34 PM
T
twh Offline
Bjarney: Good one. I prefer to deal with problems tactfully.

#40648 07/31/04 08:56 PM
Tactfully it is.

#40649 07/31/04 10:47 PM
B
Agreed that tact is in order. But—as if this planet needs more litigation, surely it will bring court battles along the way.

#40650 08/01/04 12:30 AM
One thing that we all seem to do, which I feel is number 1 at keeping things 'tactful' is the anonimity we post out pics with...
No one's here posting pics saying "XYZ Electrical installed this at 123 Main St.." & I'm sure the moderators here wouldn't allow it in the first place..
I take a picture of a defect of workmanship or material, simply to show what someone can dream up out there... Not to bash anyone else.... If someone were to see something they did on here that wasn't up to par... Maybe they might learn something so they don't repeat the same mistake [Linked Image] & they'd be learning without making a spectacle of themselves... Just my 2¢ worth

-Randy

-Randy

#40651 08/01/04 03:58 AM
P
I can't say anyone has ever questioned my taking pictures of electrical systems, although my very tiny (and poor, sorry!) camera is readily hidden. I must say that I did feel a little a little like a spy when sneaking a photo of a DIY store's "How to" display a while ago.

No one's here posting pics saying "XYZ Electrical installed this at 123 Main St.."
Quoting the name of the outfit who did the work could, I suppose, lead to litigation in today's world. It would also be rather bad form to reveal the address of a private establishment -- After all, in many cases the owner is not the one to blame.

How about a dangerous situation appearing in publicly owned property though? If I were to post pictures of bad wiring and say "This is in the ****** Building in *****" would that be considered more acceptable to most people do you think?

#40652 08/01/04 11:37 AM
P
I have been taking pictures for about 3 years. I have been harassed, but lately 2 things have helped me. One is that I usually ask and tell them the pictures are for educational purposes. Two, is when I go to a job location as an inspector, I use that as my reason for taking pictures. I am known as the inspector with the camera, it does help. One time for a fair, if it wasn't for the pictures I took, I would have had a hard time convincing some of how bad the situation was.

The plus side to all of this is when I use the pictures for classes/seminars. They have a big impact - some pictures I use for humor, they work very well.
Pictures are here to stay, so guys will have to get used to it. I generally find most are not unhappy about it, as they do good work!!!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#40653 08/01/04 08:19 PM
D
I have taken three types of pictures.

Type 1 - where I have been called to repair/replace an existing shoddy install, and I take "before and after" pics to show the HO and any inspectors.

Type 2 - While conducting inspections with the FD. Since our fire inspections cover the whole premises, and a lot more than just wiring & methods, the pics can either serve as "evidence" (not really since IL hasn't recognized dig as evidenciary yet IIRC) for follow up inspections, and as reminders for the "certified" inspectors to check the Code when they get back to the station.

Type 3 - The "No s***, there I was, minding my own business when a ten foot tall code violation jumped me, and forced me to take a picture of it..."

Obviously, with #1, I'm there to fix the problem, so having consent usually isn't a deal. #2 is in the context of a legal inspection by sworn officials in the performance of their duties (Howdy, AHJ's!), so it's usually never mentioned. #3 is covered by the same general principles that others have mentioned: Don't say
EC "x" installed this )(!(&*^$( work at John Doe's house, at 1234 Main Street in Anytown, USA... come see!

As long as there are no damages (including financial from a "bad rap" resulting in drop in business for an EC, or 'mental and emotional suffering' due to libel/slander for a HO) litigation is more difficult to successfully pursue.

They're a great learning tool - even used afew for "in-service" for the inspectors at the FD. Don't name names or addresses, but keep the pics comin'!

#40654 08/03/04 10:02 PM
D
I'm back in remodeling work, so I'll have to put my camera back in the truck, Mike. Sometimes I tell people & sometimes they're not around, but I haven't had anyone comment about taking pictures yet. I could see someone being upset if it was their bad weekend warrior work, but usually it's from a previous homeowner. The weekend warriors rarely call me unless there's a fire.

Dave

#40655 08/03/04 10:32 PM
N
Almost all the picture I take are on job site walk thru's I tell any one questioning me that the pictures will be used for my bid preparation. If I send some in I delete any Identifing notes or pictures. After a bid most pic are deleted if I did not get the job. Only the real good or rotten are kept and maybe sent in. The rotten one are given to the AHJ if the owner does not do any repairs. If I am under bid and the repairs are done by some one else then there is no need to keep the pictures. If I do the the job then I keep before and after pics for warrenty purposes only. A few times those pic's have setteled arguements about who did what and when.

ed
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard