ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 366 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#40068 07/11/04 11:47 PM
C
Got a lighting RFQ for a new laundromat (100ft x 28ft x10ft high). The owner thinks that 8 fixtures (2'x4' w/4 lamps) will be enough. Does anyone have a link to a site that has footcandle recomendations?

C
I don’t have any good recommendations for sites to check but hopefully one of the other members can help you out. I will tell you that if this project was in California you would be allowed to use 2520 watts maximum to light this area (2800 x .9watts/sqft). Using the allowed watts for a given area usually gives a pretty good idea of how many fixtures will be needed. I would guess that it will take closer to 20 fixtures to light this area.

Curt

Curt Swartz
R
Ron Offline
See the table about 3/4 of the way down the following site. http://www.holophane.com/School/HL-862.htm

Ron
Tom Offline
20 fixtures looks about right for 30fc maintained.

8 fixtures will result in very uneven lighting & will get you about 18fc. Was the owner previously an owner of a movie theater? They were also notoriously stingy with light.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
C
Tom
How did you arrive at these numbers?

Tom Offline
I've trained a spreadsheet to calculate room cavity ratios. Using a 10' ceiling height and an assumed workplane of 30" above finish floor and the other room dimensions you listed, the RCR came out at a little under 2.

Then, I pulled out a really old lighting design book (Rapid Lighting Design and Cost Estimating by Prafulla C. Sorcar, P.E. copyright 1979), looked up the 2x4 fixture curves, assumed 30 fc & read the curve over to the square footage per fixture, divided that into your square footage which worked out to 19.xxx fixtures.

As for the 18fc estimate, I did the same thing backwards by dividing the square footage by # of fixtures, read over to the curve & up to the fc.

I'm not sure how accurate this book is, but I've never had any complaints about things being too dim.

BTW, Prafulla has published other lighting books & is multi-talented, visit his site at www.manicksorcar.com

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 07-12-2004).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
J
go to www.simkar.com You can download the simply indoor lighting calculation software with photometric data.

This will let you see a suggested layout with lighting values for your project. Other lighting manufacturers have photometric data for their fixtures for download that can be used with this also.

B
Bob Offline
I ran your room size using the Hubbell
Software. For 25 footcandles you would need
2 rows of 6 fixtures.

Link Copied to Clipboard