ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 80 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
aro Offline OP
Hello folks,

I am new on this forum and first of all I would like to thank you all for the amount of great information I found here. I've been searching the net for infos and I found all the answers here.

I'm 34 and I have been working with computers for quite a while. Even though it's been a good job, I am planning to change over to electrician. I read the posts here on the good and the not so good parts of this trade, the sometimes challenging physical demands, the many safety issues and I am still here, just as willing [Linked Image]

I just started taking some online courses for electricians. I have no doubts that the hands-on experience is the one that counts, but I figured I could make myself more interesting to potential employers by learning a few things about the trade, even if only theoretical for now. I would like to
offer more than my willingness and enthusiasm in the beginning. In about five-six
months I'll start looking for a shop willing to teach me the real thing.

I've been wondering about my chances to start an apprenticeship in the present economy. Is your feeling that things are tougher nowadays for newbies to get started ? Since I am flexible, are there parts of the US
where the chances to get started are higher ? I figured people here are the ones who really know best how things are going.

Last but not least, I would appreciate if any of the Canadian posters would share some information about the situation there. There is this tiny little chance that I will end up there.

I hope that you won't mind my long winded posting. Thanks again [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by aro (edited 06-17-2004).]

G
I think taking courses is great,any experience is good.
One thing you should consider is what area you want to pursue as this is diverse field with many specialties.
The Toronto market is booming along with the oil fields out west.
My recommendation to youself would be because of your age to stay away from construction and look at the industriul sectors as they are more computer based which you might have an advantage and less physically challenging.

C
aro

In Canada the apprenticeship is 4 to 5 Years,(8,000 to 10,000 hours)

This is a must up here, it's a fully Regulated Trade.
During this time you go to a Trade School.
Most provinces use this format:
Basic: 10 Weeks
Intermediate: 10 Weeks
Advanced: 10 Weeks

Hope that helps

M
I live in Guelph which is about an hours drive from Toronto and have been activly looking for an apprenticeship for about a year and a half now. This year alone Ive handed out over 200 resumes and havent gotten a call yet, can anyone give me any advice on searching for an apprenticeship? I believe im more than qualified, Im 24, debt free, work in electronics assembly full time and attend college part time studying electronics, I also have my full drivers licence and own car and am willing to move pretty much anywhere in Ontario? I cant really think of anything else I can do to make myself more qualified, any suggestions?

L
aro
Hi and this is scary what you wrote in your post is the same thing I'm doing heck we are even the same age and in the same field computers.

I went with this school http://www.pcdi-homestudy.com

On lesson 4 and enjoying it very much and have learn a lot.

When I get done hope to find some company to take me under there wing for some real hands on training.

A
aro Offline OP
Thanks all for your replies.

I'm not too worried about my age (34), since I am a fitness and weight lifting freak and I am in MUCH better shape than I was in my 20's [Linked Image] Heck, I could run the marathon at the Olympics this year [Linked Image]

What kind of worries me a bit is finding a company willing to train me. The press talks about tradepeople shortage out there, experienced tradepeople talk about not enough good helpers and you figure it shouldn't be all that tough to find a place to start. Well, no point getting worried (yet). Just hope for the best and prepare selling myself real good...

Sorry to hear that, Mike_Breese. You seem to be doing a lot to stick out. Not much I can say, I just wish you the best !

leesops, I read about the pcdi homestudies. Do you like them ? How many hours do you study a day, more or less ? How long will it take to be done ? Have you checked the classifieds for apprentice jobs ? Sorry for the many questions, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can. Thanks

G
I would suggest stopping by work sites in the area and talking to the guys in charge,hey for $20.00 bucks get business cards made with your name and phone # on them so they can keep your name around.

C
Mike_Breese

Welcome to the board

My E-Mail is in my profile.
Go ahead and send me a message (resume would be fine also, make sure you include any Safety training you might have).

Attach a note with what your expectations are: Why you want to get into trade?, Financial expectations?

No promises with a position with our company (we do mainly Industrial Automation Installations and it's not to busy, alot of quotes out there but no bites)
No matter what I would gladly mentor you in how to approach others.

L
aro
I like the school very well. The text lessons are well made out.

I work 2nd shift and get about 2hrs a night study time.

You can take up to a year or a little longer if need be or do it all in 6 months. There support tech. is very good in helping you out if you get stuck on a lesson.

All in all I'm very happy with them.

He Is a link for some BC jobs
http://www.bcelectrician.com/resumes.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard