ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Al Hildenbrand - Minneapolis - obituary
by Bill Addiss - 02/03/23 07:38 PM
by renosteinke - 01/27/23 09:52 PM
Does NEC 551.71 (F) apply to dwellings?
by BigB - 01/20/23 10:46 AM
Power submeter connections
by HotLine1 - 01/19/23 09:09 AM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 29 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#39252 06/16/04 08:00 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 330
I did not notice that this was brought up, but I have a concern about the cable from the generator. When connecting up a generator (after the required transfer switch) the male end must be located on the wall of the location served and the female end on the end of the cord coming from the generator. Using a dryer receptacle would be an absolute NO.

Besides the problem of killing a utility worker if there is no transfer switch, plugging a generator into a dryer receptacle will submit the user of the generator to unacceptable hazards. The power coming from the generator will be energizing the exposed male end of the plug which is never acceptable, thus the end of the cord must be female where you would be attaching to the building. I would refer to NEC 230.62(A) and 445.14 if someone wanted to argue there life or the life of a loved one (or maybe not so loved). Plugging the thing in the wall does not make it unaccessible or guarded.

I personally use and require twistlock types or pin and sleeve on top of this to avoid inadvertant removal of the power supply or partial disconnect possibly exposing energized parts.


#39253 06/16/04 08:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 18
tonyc Offline OP
Hey Paul,

It's Canada

#39254 06/16/04 11:37 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 456
The picture shows twist lock fittings, although I have see at least male straigt blade 14-50 caps (what is actually used for dryers and ranges), either the familar Hubbels (used in the portable Miller welder demo trailer taken to farm expositions and the like), and a right angle Eagle. I have aslo seen people splice an acutal dryer/stove cord assembly onto a chunk of whatever cable.

#39255 06/16/04 12:54 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,520
Hey Paul,
It's Canada
Ah, didn't notice the Ontario bit on the page before. [Linked Image]

I make that about U.S. $65. Still seems very expensive for a twist-lock receptacle, though. How much would this run in the U.S.A.?

Good point about the added hazard of using a plug end on the generator lead to connect to the range/dryer outlet.

I've seen people in this country try a similar approach with a regular British plug inserted into any convenient outlet.

#39256 04/08/05 05:23 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 625
There's something that seems obvious to me that I never see mentioned on these threads. Square D makes a mechanical interlock for their QO panels that allows you to interlock the normal main breaker with second, back-fed main breaker in the upper right-hand location. The interlock assures that only one of the mains can be "on" at any time. (Both can be "off," however.)

I understand that this is UL listed for feeding a generator into the panel.

This appears to be the obvious way to go--a few bucks for the interlock (I think it's $10-$20), one breaker, and you're good to go.

So why aren't people doing this? Is there some problem with this approach that I'm not seeing?

#39257 04/08/05 06:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,370
Likes: 1
Cat Servant
I assume that there will be a transfer switch used....and that the generator is used for something else, or stored elsewhere, until needed.
I assume that is why you want to connect the generator with a flexible cord.

The product you are looking for is called a "power inlet." Besides being available from electrical parts houses, they are often found at RV supply houses. They have a "male" plug end recessed in, and covered with a plate. This is installed on a deep box attached to the building. When the time comes, open the lid and insert the female end of the power cord.
These are available in various configurations. For all I know, boating suppliers have them as well.


Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Posts: 264
Joined: February 2013
Top Posters(30 Days)
triple 3
BigB 3
Popular Topics(Views)
303,143 Are you busy
232,163 Re: Forum
216,890 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5