ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#38923 06/05/04 11:27 PM
N
Attic Rat:

Might those weeds be a good addition to a batch of brownies? Maybe make up a few for the next church picnic or Phish concert....

As far as moles go, how about driving a few ground rods, and hooking them across 480V? [Linked Image]

#38924 06/06/04 01:11 PM
I
Yeah we (The wife and kids) planted a garden.

I have no idea if we will have any luck, it is a first try.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#38925 06/06/04 04:18 PM
E
Here in the Land of Small Yards in So. Minneapolis, I have a little patch that struggles for a half day of sun. With lots of mulch and favorable weather, I have managed some credible heirloom tomatoes (the Brandywine is the reason God gave us the ability to influence Nature [Linked Image] ). The rest is shade flowers, coleus, impatiens, etc.

Al Hildenbrand
#38926 06/06/04 04:40 PM
P
I don't have much of a green thumb, so I'm afraid gardening isn't one of my strong points.

We have quite a problem with moles in this area at the moment. My cat will sit for an hour or more staring at a mole-hill, then pounce into the middle of it. Never seen him actually catch one of the little critters yet though.

#38927 06/06/04 05:07 PM
B
I've begun to get organized in our 'new' home (moved in last August) and am working on a quaint veggie garden that also has flowers here and there. My dogs were not happy about the cute white picket fence as they can no longer run the short length of fence when the neighbor's dog comes out. So far I have 1 pepper to boast about.

I've already planted some flowers in beds and have some established flowers from the previous owners that brighten up the place.

I'll send Bill a couple photos and maybe he'll add it to my post here (hint, hint, pretty please).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No Problem Bren!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 06-06-2004).]

#38928 06/06/04 08:30 PM
R
I saw a picture of a failed attempt to get rid of some critters. The caption said some janitors (I think at the High School in Minot ND) used a propane system to burn them out. The trouble was they burrowed into a pad mounted transformer. When they set off the spark it blew the transformer cover ten feet or so away. It never tripped any overcurrent device. I tried searching for the pictures for an OSHA-10 class but couldn't find it.

#38929 06/07/04 01:34 AM
T
We have a nice crop of clover, dandelions and crab grass.

As to the moles, try this , this , or this .

P. S. If that doesn't work,
this probably will .

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 06-07-2004).]

#38930 06/07/04 10:21 PM
B
Seriously [Linked Image]... I have successfully used a couple of tactics:

Bone meal can be sprinkled on the surface of existing plants or buried while planting new plants or seeds to ward off some rodents and deer. Don't breath it and plan on replenishing it on the surface to maintain the protection. I use it in the veggie garden (perimeter or side dressing individual plants) and also for flower beds as the rabbits and deer think they're more than pretty popsies, they're a delicacy to nibble.

I've also begun to plant garlic in with just about everything to ward off underground pests - rodents and insects.

I've had cats that were excellent gopher-getters and also have a couple of dogs that are happy to dig and chase anything and everything that they deem worthy of their efforts. The downside to that is that their choice and mine don't always coincide - flower beds and pots are subject to full searches, for example. Another risk is that the neighbor's ferret became the chase du jour one fateful day and we had stinkin' dogs due to the musk glands. We also have bubonic plague in this region and its generally carried by the fleas on rodents so I cringe when critters interact, no matter who wins.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 06-07-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard