ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38890 06/05/04 12:35 PM
D
smaller gauge wire. Anybody I am getting this from a homeowner who said that a pool guy looked at her spa and said the wire size was to small and will cause the water to get to hot (this is one of her complaints). I have to go check it out next week because apparently the c/b is not a GFCI type. I told her to stay out of it for now. But I can't think of a reason why the water temp would increase because of know?

One of the better ones-
Electricians do it without shorts.
#38891 06/05/04 01:07 PM
C
This sounds like a bunch of nonsense hearsay. They only way you can make a proper diagnosis of the wiring issues is to investigate it yourself, and not what the homeowner and pool guy says.

As far as the water temp, this would be adjusted on the unit itself. If it's not being regulated properly, then a sensor might have gone bad, and the spa company should repair it, assuming it's under warranty.

Peter

Peter
#38892 06/05/04 01:12 PM
W
I would think the thermostat may have something to do with the water getting too hot. Unless the small wire actually runs inside the water of the spa. [Linked Image]

#38893 06/05/04 01:53 PM
A
This sounds like another case of a pool company tring to pass the buck instead of making repairs. If you are positive your end is all good you might want to set up a meeting with the pool tec, home owner, and your self. Bring your wire charts, figure your voltage drop, your amp meter, volt meter etc.. Put an end to the nonsence.

For some reason I seen them go out of their way to avoid a warrenty claim, try to blame the electrician and bill the customer for repairs.

One case they said I should have used a 60a GFCI although all paper said to use a 50a and the full load was not more than 40A. The heater was bad and had countinuty to the equip. ground from 1 hot. They bill the customer for a new 60A GFCI breaker and service call something like $400 after the fact in the mail. The customer comes to me for the money. They said it is working now and they saw the guy do somthing in the tub too (heater). I called the company and of coarse they did not have the GFCI I just installed. The breaker for all this in the panel was still a 50A. I did not pay the charge.

Another one same deal. Hooked up new tub customer few weeks later calls said the tub tec came out said something is wrong with your wiring because the thing does not work and charged them for a service call because it's not under warrenty. I came out. My side was fine but one fuse was blown inside the tub.

One place kept saying we had to use their special GFCI disco for $175 with a tub. I go there to get it and it was the same one you get anywhere. I said what is so special about this one? They said we don't know were not electricians.

I also think if the customer hires a different electrician than the pool companys then they are looking to cuse you problems.

I need to go bid out another right now.

Fun

#38894 06/05/04 07:01 PM
D
Fortunatley I'm not the guy who installed it. I think the previous homeowner installed the spa and these guys bought the house (spa included) and now the spa isn't working. I think this pool guy is blowing smoke up her a_ _ to make a quick buck. Tuesday I"ll go check it out and see. BTW, I don't know what happened to the first part of my original post, strange.

One of the better ones-
Electricians do it without shorts.
#38895 06/05/04 10:36 PM
...Delectric said:
BTW, I don't know what happened to the first part of my original post, strange.

... It went off to the place where all lost left socks go ....

... Seriously,..Hope you find whats wrong over there,with that hot-tub...Don't let 'em stick ya..Let us know what you find ok??
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"

Link Copied to Clipboard