ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38534 05/24/04 10:37 PM
S
Is there a difference between a lineman apprenticeship program and a electrician apprenticeship program?

If so, how do you get into the lineman apprenticeship program?

#38535 05/24/04 10:59 PM
F
There is a BIG difference. The two jobs deal with two different species of the electrical animal family.

#38536 05/25/04 12:38 AM
D
In a simple description?

Lineman Deals with power distribution from the generating plant or inter-utility distribution point to the customer's POP (Point Of Purchase) - what we call the "service point", where the service drop is connected to the customer.

Electrician Deals with the distribution of power inside the premises (note - not necessarily the building), including using approved wiring methods to meet Code (and customer needs), the installation and maintenance of power - served appliances such as motors, and the installation and maintenance of other electricity utilizing devices on the premises.

There are several Lineman websites out there - I will try to find the ones I have visited before, and post them here.

<Update> Check out these sites:
www.powerlineman.com
www.lineman.com
www.lineworker.com
www.elineman.com
www.njatc.org/apprentice/outside.htm

That should be a good start for ya!

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 05-25-2004).]

#38537 05/26/04 06:05 AM
Straight-edge,
As anyone, that has come from a Lines background, will tell you, the work of Lines workers, is very hard yakka!.
Pole and Ladder work is the norm, as well as using a Bucket Truck add to the experience you have to have, to be a Qualified Linesman. [Linked Image]
With Live-Glove and Barrier work increasingly seeping into our work and also Live Hotstick 33 and 66kV, the chances of accidents increase all the time!.
Cover-up gear is the norm, these days. [Linked Image]

#38538 05/26/04 06:08 AM
Another thing is,
Ever seen the size of a 33kV insulator when it is on the ground?
And the bolts which connect the wires?.

#38539 05/26/04 08:39 PM
S
Trumpy,

No, I have not seen the size of 33KV insulator on the ground.

All I know is that APS, (Arizona Public Service), is hiring new journeyman Linemen for 35.49 per hour with awsome benifits.

I think perhaps the risk is worth it. Just don't know how to get in the door.

I was hoping that my apprenticeship would be honored with them. As I have now learned that the linesmen and electrician trades are very different.

I would still be willing to learn if they pay for my schooling.

#38540 05/28/04 04:55 AM
Straightedge,
If you want to head down the Linemans track, all power to you I say (no pun intended. [Linked Image]).
Having done a New Zealand Line Mechanics Apprenticeship after doing an Electrician's Apprenticeship, I would say that, you should be welcomed by a PoCo, or so forth, because you already have the basics of Electricity practice under your belt, in your area.
The great majority of Lines work is knowing how things are wired, within your area of work, with respect to the orientation of lines on poles and Transformer ratios.
Hey, all the best, I say!. [Linked Image]

#38541 05/31/04 06:53 AM
People at ECN like Bjarney and myself can give you all the help you need, with respect to the cross-over to HV work, just tell us what you need to know?
That is not to disparage a good grounding in HV principles though, through practice!. [Linked Image]

#38542 06/16/04 11:45 PM
L
I just wanted to mention that a website was left out on the list above that caters to Linemen.
http://www.Line-Man.com

It's a little less than a year old now and focuses on Power, CATV, Telco and Fiber Workers.

Lots of good content and industry news.

[This message has been edited by Lunatic Lineman (edited 06-16-2004).]

#38543 06/17/04 06:34 AM
End of the argument, I would say having done both Trades, in New Zealand here.
Is this, an Electricians ticket is a hard thing to get.
A Line Mechanics ticket is twice as hard to get, mainly because of the size of the wires and the equipment that you are working with.
You need large hands and fingers to be able to use the gear that us Lineys have to use.
Also if you are going to go into HV work, you can more or less put money on being called out during nasty weather, rain, snow and all the rest.
While everyone else is reasonably warm inside thier houses, you won't be!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard