ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
I prefer the green wirenuts myself.Though I know some guys that swear by the crimps and won't use anything else.As far as in the case when you have a fully insulated ground, I just strip one ground conductor really long that goes through the hole in the end of the green wirenut.

[This message has been edited by andyp95 (edited 05-24-2004).]

Ok... Here we go! I do use the crimps regularly.. But to use propery, the ground wires must also be twisted at least 3 turns along with the crimp. (Told to me by a foreman back in my early days..) So this is the practice I've followed ever since... The green pigtail combo setups are nice, but as other have said, they're not even close to cost effective. A properly installed crimp on a set of ground wires that are twisted together make a good connection IMO... Not to mention alot of the work I do involves going into existing installations where box space seems to be at a premium most of the time... Changing an old weatherproof outlet which is only in a handy-box (in the wall).. Even with a weather-tight extension ring, it's a tight fit to get a GFI in there! I use these with the bare terminal slot..

[Linked Image from service.kleintools.com]

-Randy

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 05-24-2004).]

E
I use the green wirenuts. I don't like the barrel crimps as they don't seem to keep a good tight connection. So do the greenies have to be green? [Linked Image]

...We usually use Ideal barrel crimps,and my Klein Journeyman Linesmans,with the crimping die..if not I go with regular Tan wirenuts..by Ideal..and of course the grounding pig-tail for metal boxes..
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
Z
You will never have a bad ground connection with a crimp sleeve, and using a crimp tool.
Klein, Ideal, and T&B, which I have, are all good ones.
So then I guess some of you all are also saying that crimping Stay-cons for control work is no good either!
BTW I also use deep boxes.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
N
Crimping stakons for control wiring generally involves STRANDED wire.

Getting a reliable crimp on solid wire (such as the ground wire in a piece of NM) is a lot more difficult.

I
Zapped I have some quality crimping tools even still I do not like the barrel clamps or sta-kons for solid 12s or 10s.

JMO, that is what the original post was asking for opinions. [Linked Image]

No one is wrong for using them, to each their own. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 05-24-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Z
OK, to clear the air here, I did not mean that I crimp Sta-Kons to solid wire for control work, that is plain stupid.
If you can't a good crimp with a crimp tool and sleeve/on #14 or 12 solid for grounding, you must be doing something wrong,IMO.
Just try to take one off if you have to make a wiring change!

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
P
what if?
a guy took a tan wire nut and drilled a hole in the end and used it in place of a greenie?code violation?reminds me of a green listed screw and listed screw holes in another thread.what would one think of this? [Linked Image]

I
I ain't say'n nothen'! [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard