ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 37 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#38311 05/21/04 08:19 AM
D
It's never too late to go back to school. Electrical Engineering...Electrical Design...Accounting...whatever.

Dave

#38312 05/21/04 09:57 AM
D
[collegeboy]BA Liberal Arts, Shimer College class of 1989[/collegeboy]

That said, I'm working (@ the FD) in a job that requires "HS degre or equivalent, ability to read, and follow simple instructions" (Paramedic part aside)

My EC job actually has a higher prerequisite learning factor, if not a higher (immediate) consequence factor.

I tried the computer/tech thing fresh out of college. If I'd stayed in it, I'd probably have 40-50 more pounds, more ulcers, and not be as happy with my life. Never planned on being a FF or EC, but now I'm both, and glad for it. At the end of the day, I can look back and point to what I've done, and how I've improved something (or at least minimized damage, depending on where I'm working! [Linked Image] )

Yeah, I'd love to do it as a "hobby", because my portfolio was doing so nicely, and all of my investments were offshore (Pinky up, lads), but that's not the hand I was dealt.

I'll take the "almost poor but happy" life over "rich and miserable" anyday.

But if you want to kvetch, that's what we're here for!

#38313 05/21/04 07:08 PM
T
twh Offline
Besides... Chicks dig electricians!

No, I don't think so. Must be just you.

#38314 05/21/04 07:20 PM
R
If it weren't for this rotten trade I wouldn't have met all the good people here. [Linked Image]

Hey, maybe I'm lucky to have stumbled into this trade for that reason alone. [Linked Image]

I can't actualy think of anything else I would have wanted to do looking back, it's been a good trade.

I enjoyed the physical part of it and would love to be back in the field. Every chance I get (not as much as I'd like) I will spend a day or more working on a job.

The bottom line is it's what we make it.

Roger

#38315 05/21/04 07:28 PM
W
This sounds like me in the middle of winter after another day outside in Maine. But today it was 70 degree and the sun was shining. I had Tee shirt and shorts on, what could be better [Linked Image]. But I can understand why someone would feel like that. The funny part is I do have an education (BS ME) and yet I still do the daily grind. I must admit if I didn't work for myself I doubt I'd be doing this. :P

#38316 05/21/04 08:27 PM
G
Any day above ground is a good day. [Linked Image]

#38317 05/21/04 08:33 PM
R
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The man who had no shoes bitched till he saw the man who had no feet.

Amen to that

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#38318 05/21/04 10:21 PM
... I found my "niche" late in life,after driving a tractor trailer for 10 years,and being a musician,and finally working my way up the ranks to becoming what I am today. Now at 41,I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments....Sure the work could be easier,the customers less stingy,the help more reliable,the supply houses less expensive,the Code book less confusing,the Taxes less constricting,... but then it wouldn't be work now would it..?? My honest to God rewards are the finished product after a long day,looking back at it and saying..."I did that"..and being proud of every staple,wirenut,even that nail in the head,after standing up too fast in a tight attic,back spasms,from leaning over too long making a splice in an attic or crawl space,and not to forget that nagging wheeze from inhaling a bit too much asbestos..These are what I'm about..but I wouldn't have it any other way,and I thank the Lord above for giving me the opportunity to put bread on my table..
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#38319 05/22/04 03:49 AM
E
Any day above ground is a good day.

My thoughts exactly [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Ever Ready (edited 05-22-2004).]

#38320 05/22/04 05:19 AM
GETELECTRIC,
Iv'e been in this Trade long enough to know that it has it's moments.
I took this trade as a trade off from being A professional Fire-fighter, in hind-sight, I'm glad I did!.
Never before have I seen so many REAL guys as what I have met here at ECN.
Sure, in the course of the work that I have done in the Electrical trade has big "ups" and even bigger "downs" (like accidents!),you learn to weather them, that is experience my friend!. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard