ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3811 09/07/01 05:52 PM
S
oh,all rantings aside.... [Linked Image]
electure (Scott) is right, pullin' the lions tail only results in a toothy grin.
a compromise of a few tubs of caulking should equate to the same end result.
[Linked Image]

#3812 09/07/01 06:16 PM
Sparky,

My Sister's up in NH and built a house about 10 yrs ago. We always kid them that they have to open a window to close a door. My brother-in-law asked if He could caulk the holes in the device boxes! I don't know if He did though.

My parent's house is in the same area and they had a real cold air coming down out of the 10 or 12 cans in the Kitchen because there was too much airflow in the Attic above. I can really see an application for airtite there. (But I mean a can without all the holes in it) They weren't available at the time though.

Bill

Bill
#3813 09/07/01 08:43 PM
S
LOL!
i had a service call to a home where the owner had filled every device box on an external wall with that spray foam insulation stuff. i still don't know why it did'nt short, [Linked Image] i figured he must of shut down the circuit until it dried....

#3814 09/07/01 09:34 PM
R
Sparky,
Thanks... for the fart joke, especially!
Can't wait to use it.

#3815 09/07/01 11:22 PM
M
Coming from the TRUE great white North, this requirement is not unusual, in order to maintain a proper vapor barrier...have you ever removed a coverplate, and felt a cold draft? It's just a way of preventing condensation. In my opinion, having seen rot around cieling fixtures, it's a necessity in Northerly climates. You don't fill the gaps with foam.

#3816 09/08/01 07:23 AM
S
Roger that mickky [Linked Image]

It must also be said that not all cans are created equal. The good IC's are a round can within a captive square can, the IC/NON-IC lousey ones are much less structural. The installation of the good ones usually means a larger square area of cieling contact and less chance for drafts.

Proper insulation techniqes also come into play here, i had one job where the GC's 16 yr old was not going to cut around ANYTHING while installing it.

He simply kicked it into the wired bays, pushing the wires out toward the unsided exterior and crushing the insulation down, as well as simply crushing it up against all the device boxes leaving gaps above , below and posterior to them. This had all occured before i could catch up to the baggy pants nose ringed little B*****D, and the GC just made light of it, oh well...

On to vapor barriers, seems the carpenters have the biggest disputes here, i do like when the plastic is internal, and covers all the device boxes, the sheetrock is applied and they all look shrink wrapped. seems like a good seal to me [Linked Image]

#3817 09/09/01 10:21 AM
S
After meeting with the inspector in person, he has informed me that Air tight cans are required by the local building department, making it in effect a local energy code, which as we all know supercedes the NEC. It only applies to this village and two other small ones in my county.

I have found a source for air tite cans and they are not much more than IC rated cans. If they are really that much better I will install them everywhere.

#3818 09/09/01 02:42 PM
If you buy enough stuff from Ruud, they send you some really knockout pastries at Christmas! (this is very important, you know) [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard