ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
My brother is a Master Electrician, and he has invented a new product (a luminiare slip fitter) that greatly reduces the cost of installing outdoor electrical lighting. It also has lots of other benefits. But he’s having a tough time getting the word out beyond his local market.

He’s been working with local South Florida inspectors and suppliers with great results. Warehouses carrying the product are getting repeat sales, but it takes a ton of time and effort to convince a warehouse to stock the product. And there are only so many hours in a day, especially when you make your living as an electrician!

We are looking for new ways to market his product on a broader scale.

If you are electrical contractor, or you are involved in wholesale distribution of electrical products, can you tell us what publications you read on a regular basis?

This is small family owned company with big dreams and a limited marketing budget. We want to get our biggest ‘bang for the buck’ so all suggestions are welcome.

In case you are wondering, the product is patented, UL approved, manufactured here in the US by my brother and his wife, and has the enthusiastic blessing of every inspector who has seen it. I’d love to tell you more, but I don’t want this posting to appear as a thinly veiled attempt to sell you something.

Besides, if I did that, Bill Addiss would yank my posting privileges!

We just need help deciding where to put our marketing funds.

Thanks all.

John

[This message has been edited by John McBride (edited 05-16-2004).]

E
I read Electrical Contractor and EC&M.

That said it sounds like you may need a manufacturers rep. They can represent your product to the wholesalers or supply houses for you. They already have the contacts. Ask some of your current customers for references of reps they buy from. (My family is in this type of business, I'm the rebel that didn't follow into it). They sell to the big boys and I don't know what your production capability is, but email me something on the product and I can see if it fits there product line.

Also, you may want to exhibit at a trade show. This would be a great way to let contractors know about the product. There is one in a little over a week. http://east.electricshow.com

Good Luck

...Same over here,..John.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
EC&M & Electrical Contractor here as well...
The trade shows is an awesome idea... If you've designed a product as cutting edge as this seems, with UL approval at that, You might want to look up some of the nationwide supply houses.. Rexel, Grainger, Graybar, Romac & Consolidated Electrical Distributors (CED), would be good places to try & get product into if you want coast to coast exposure. [Linked Image] Another place you might want to look for exposure is by seeing if you can get an ad in an IBEW newsletter or something similar.

Best of luck to you!
-Randy

R
Ron Offline

Ron
J
Thanks all. This is very useful information!

John

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 05-17-2004).]

R
IAEI news

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
D
Electrical Contractor & Electrical Advertiser (I know, it's not really a magazine, but..)

Link Copied to Clipboard