ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37316 04/24/04 11:23 PM
D
DougW Offline OP
OK guys (and gals). I turn to you looking for sources and ideas for Power tools... specifically, to replace my Craftsman worm-drive circular saw, which is no longer in my possession.

Wondering what y'all think about the Skil v. Milwaukee, and why you favor one over the other. All in all, my Craftsman did me pretty well - never leaked oil, and ran like a thoroughbred, for a "generic". Since I'm not a carpenter, I may go back to it, but I figure I'd ask around first.

In addition, if you have any dealers that you can steer me towards (other than those found in a Google search, which I did because I'm on duty and the stores are closed now) that you've had good luck with.

Thanks in advance,

DougW

#37317 04/24/04 11:54 PM
the first thing I look at in a saw now is if has a solid plate for the base as i really do not like the ones with the base just bent up for the guide.

#37318 04/25/04 12:05 AM
B
A couple of shots from the hip… If you price a tool online or mail order—shipped from out of the area, get a firm quote including their shipping fees, and if applicable, sales tax. {That is your total out-of-pocket expense.} Shipping rates seem to vary widely, and some are pretty ridiculous.

On some higher-ticket items, many rental houses sell used {and new} tools out of their inventory that will more that do the job. If you want to buy an item that you are returning from a rental period, some will credit rental fees toward the used-equipment purchase price.

#37319 04/25/04 12:05 AM
C
I have been using Tool Up for most of my power tool needs. Their prices are usually about the same as the Orange and Blue stores I would much rather give them the business. I just purchased a cordless drill from them and it was $20 less than Orange wanted. They have a physical store near me but I often order online. The shipping is free on many items but even if it’s not my time is worth more than the shipping cost.

Skill's 7 1/4" worm drive saw is about the only saw you will see on jobs in my area. I don't use circular saws much but I figure if most of the framers are using Skill saws there must me a good reason.

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 04-25-2004).]

Curt Swartz
#37320 04/25/04 12:19 PM
J
I have a Skil worm drive circ saw and I have no complaints about it. Only once did it get a bit bound up while cutting some green wood and it warped the blade.

#37321 04/25/04 02:58 PM
F
I have bought several power tools from Tool Crib over the years with no complaints. They are now an Amazon.com company and are available on the web. Their prices are very competetive and shipping is quick. I like them because they offer all of the major brands with few exceptions. One line they don't offer(yet) is the Rigid line of cordless power tools. A friend of mine bought the 18V set last fall and has been really happy with it. I use Porter Cable cordless tools and have no complaints but I would like to try Rigid sometime to see if their cordless tool quality was on par with their other tool lines. Their threaders and pipe wrenches are the best, in my opinion.

#37322 04/25/04 05:58 PM
A
I got a few things from toolup.com too. Some things have free shipping. It takes less than a week for me to get something. The prices seem to be the same or lower than I can find. They have a number of things that are not in stock at a local store. Like the new super hole hog or a PVC heater. I try to buy from a business that I herd of or referd to from someone. At least look for one the has a mailing address listed or better a walk in store.

PS you might try to keep an eye on ebay for your things.

Tom
Tom

#37323 04/26/04 02:45 PM
P
DOUG,
skil gets my knod of approval.i have used it for 25+ years and have no complaints.i prefer milwaukee drills but skil has the saw thing hands down.keep the gear oil full and other than an occasional set of brushes or a new pigtail when some newbie runs the blade thru the cord they are indestructable.

#37324 04/26/04 10:16 PM
S
Howdy! I have a Bosch worm drive, which is a skill 77 exactly, same case. The label says 15 amps, unlike the skill label which says 13, but I think it's the same motors. The bosch has the hook that comes with it, and it's also alot lighter then the 77. It has the same kind of warruntee. The bosch has a really nice base plate, and the blade guard DOES NOT catch on thin material like the Skill 77 does, that's about the only REAL difference that makes a difference on a jobsight, as far as I can see. This is just my experience with the Skill and Bosch worm drive units. Hope it helps a lil. Brian

#37325 04/27/04 10:30 AM
D
DougW Offline OP
Thanks for the input Guys... $$ situtation is looking better within a month or so, and I should be able to start buying some more toys.

Thanks for your experience & expertise!

Link Copied to Clipboard