ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37114 04/21/04 07:18 PM
G
GA76JW Offline OP
Are there any websites that can tell me what I can and can't do, as far as working for myself with no license?

I want to supplement my income with some side work and was wondering what I could "legally" do without crossing to far.

I am pretty competent with the skills I have so far and am more than qualified to do things like hang ceiling fans, wire bonus rooms, wire hot tubs, run outside specialty lighting, etc.

I would not want to get into wiring a new home or anything of the sorts. I just want to make some extra cash, but alas I have no idea where to look or who to contact.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Philip

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

I
Philip that is determined at the state, county, city, or town level.

In other words it is different for everyone.

The best bet is to look for the web site of agency you will be getting your license from.

In MA you can not do anything on your own until licensed and insured.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
N
I don't know about the legal aspects where you are but seeing how you are a NJATC apprentice you better check your local working agreement. Most collective bargaining agreements prohibit side work as NECA feels you are competing with them. This is a real sore spot with some for reasons I can't get into here. If you would like I can direct you to some forums that you can really get a really broad spectrum of opinions on this.
Maybe someone else can help you with the state laws in Georgia.

R
Maybe Russell, (BTW Russell you're MIA [Linked Image]) Electric Eagle, or another GA member will respond, just hold tight.

Roger

G
GA76JW Offline OP
I have talked with some of the JW's on the job and all have told me (in one way or another) that no one would have a problem as long as I wasn't "competing" against the contractors.

Now I have no plans to bid on a waste treatment plant or a Super Wal-Mart. [Linked Image]

I have heard them all talk about doing sidework, but none of them know where I can find the info I need at.

Thanks for the responses and I will be waiting for a fellow Georgian to answer.

Philip

A
http://www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/construct/ will link you to the rules that govern our state. In a nut shell the law states that you can not install, alter or repair any part of an electrical system without having or working for someone who has an electrical contractors license.

E
In most jurisdictions in Georgia you are required to pull a permit to do anything electrical, which requires you to have a license. That said, more small jobs are done without a permit than with a permit and unless there is a problem, even an inspector wouldn't care. I'm not going to tell you not to do side work because I did my fair share before I had a license. I will tell you to know your limits and turn down anything you're not sure of. Also, you may want to consider getting a licensed guy to let you work under them for this work for a small cut (I did this), say 95% for you and 5% for them. But if you do that, they are responsible, so the work better be good.

J
sounds shady to me.

G
GA76JW Offline OP
I appreciate all the replies and will look into this further before I make a final decision. I may just take a part-time job at Home Depot or Lowe's in the electrical department. Should make a small fortune just with the fact I would be one of the few there that ACTUALLY know what the materials are and how to use them.

I am curious though Jps1006, what sounds shady?

G
76,Arseegee and Eagle say it pretty well.

I'm not licensed myself,but I have a partner who is, and a company name with a license # and insurance.

My partner is virtually nonexistant due to health and other things.

If you take Eagle's advice and find a licensed contractor who'll work with you. You'll be ok I think.

Russell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard