ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 237 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Haligan Offline OP
I came across a panel that has been serviced by at least six people, some of them Gen. contractors, some even less qualified. The panel has a lot of mysteries because of repeated remodels and renovations to the house.

I'd like to be able to recognize the usual and legal uses of tying breaker handles together. But I would also like to be able to spot "cheats" if any exist.

Multi-wire circuits come to mind, when one duplex has both circuits.

On an unrelated note. I am pretty tired of coming across tiny 10/20 sub-panels maxed out with half-size dual breakers.

R
Handle ties must be "approved" and not necassarily listed. The only person that can approve is the AHJ "see definition". A 16 penny nail might be approved in some necks of the woods, but it is not in mine.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
H
Haligan Offline OP
I have yet to need to use a handle tie and it must be because I'm doing a lot of vanilla work.

(except for crazy house)

When do you use the tie handles?

J
I have done this in a jam but only temp. You will always have one two pole in the truck and the tie bar pops off easy enough. Then just snap it back on when you install the correct breaker.

Link Copied to Clipboard