ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#37012 12/02/06 01:35 AM
G
Lots of opinions... I just have a couple of spins to add.

I would lean toward the "suspension" idea if it were me... in that it creates an uncomfortable consequence (smaller paycheck) while also addressing the possibility that his life outside of work might be contributing to the problem -- it sends the message that he can "get his together" and then hopefully demonstrate more integrity upon returning. Bonus incentives are great if they're offered to EVERYBODY, otherwise you're really still rewarding bad behaviour since he had to screw up enough to get you to offer it in the first place.

I wouldn't assume a drug problem. There is probably alot about this guy's life you don't know... maybe he's been having a rough go of it in his personal life and that is reflecting itself in his work ethic -- or maybe it started that way and became habit the more times he heard himself described as the "late" guy in general. Labels are habit-forming.

Do you have lesser-year apprentices? Use that to your benefit by having a talk with him about setting an example. He's your star on the scene, but he's not showing up for his own party, what gives?? It smacks of low self-respect to me.

(edited for "one of those words")

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-02-2006).]

#37013 12/02/06 06:16 AM
L
Our start time is a "between." Our guys start "between" 7:30AM and 8:30AM. They work 8 hours from the time they start. Haven't had a problem in 26 years. Don't remember anyone ever being "late."

#37014 12/02/06 07:58 AM
I
This is just blowing my mind.

Anyplace I have worked you either show up on time or you get fired.

This BS about some people not being 'morning people' is just a lame excuse. I agree some people are early risers and some are late but anyone can change that if they choose to.

My wife is not a 'morning person' but she drags her rear out of bed to do the things she has to do.

I am not a 'night person' but if the job needs me at night I get myself there.

It's called RESPONSIBILITY.

Did we all forget that it's called work because it is work and they pay us because it is not always fun?

If someone absolutely can not find a way to meet their responsibilities they need to find a new job that has a different start time or flexible start times.

The thought that a company with a long established start time should change that for one person is inconceivable to me.

Bob

I should add that I understand that everyone is late sometimes but I don't believe that is what this threads about, it appears to me this thread is about repetitive lateness.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#37015 12/02/06 08:43 AM
J
As the owner of A company I wouldn't like to have to come earlyier because he may come at this time. If i show up to organize his morning work I exspect him to come to do it on time.

#37016 12/02/06 08:53 AM
M
This is a dilema every small (2-6 employee) shop will face, if they haven't already. At that size you are very vulnerable. You have too much work to be able to afford losing this guy. But you are not big enough to have the systems in place to efficiently replace him.

It's a tough situation....

#37017 12/02/06 11:48 AM
I
ITO Offline
Originally Posted by "john p"
As the owner of A company I wouldn't like to have to come earlyier because he may come at this time. If i show up to organize his morning work I exspect him to come to do it on time.

This is an excellent point, at each of my jobs everyone meets in the morning and the day’s marching orders are handed out by the foreman. If someone is late two things happen, one you don’t know if they are late or just not showing up so you have to modify your plans, and two if they do show up you have already organized as if they would not be there. Its just plain disrespectful to your coworkers and employer.

The biggest problem I have with tardiness is it just does not stop with tardiness. It’s an attitude that, since the showing up on time rule is flexible them maybe other rules are flexible. Maybe lunch could run a little longer, maybe since its such a long walk to the parking lot we should quit 5 minutes earlier, maybe since the taco truck was late today an extra 5 minutes for break is ok… it goes on and on.

101° Rx = + /_\
#37018 12/02/06 01:50 PM
S
As long as the late employee is good and has a "give and take" attitude, I see no problem with it. If any of my employees (I have 3, all of whom are considerate of my schedule) are late or take an extended lunch break, etc., the time is always made up. There are always days we don't get back to the shop at exactly 4:30....4:40 or 4:45 is common. If they were late arriving they get their normal pay...if they were on time, that time gets put in the "time bank". It always balances out.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#37019 12/02/06 05:29 PM
D
And folks wonder why military vets are sought-after employees!

They are sought after for alot of reasons, not just for their tardiness. They are well organized, work well with others, and have high degrees of training in dealing with problems and how to adapt and overcome.
There are alot more reasons, but I am sure I would fill the server up listing them all.

I know what you meant John, I couldn't resist giving the vets an extra "ata boy". They deserve it.

#37020 12/02/06 07:39 PM
I
ITO Offline
Give and take may work well with 4 employees, but when you work 80 unionized employees there is only take, any discussions of flexibility result in me bending over.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 12-02-2006).]

101° Rx = + /_\
#37021 12/02/06 08:03 PM
M
there is definitely different circumstances. With 80 union guys, you can not tolerate that. But you can also afford to fire the guy, call the hall and have another guy sent out the next day.

with a 4 man shop, you can't afford to do that for every little thing. You are at the mercy of your employees until you hit probably 10-12 men. Even then you are only a couple of disgruntled employees away from disaster...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard