ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Anyone know of a publication that gives recommendations for timing/scheduling PM's for service switchgear and mcc's? Is a 3 year cycle too frequent?

R
Ron Offline
NFPA 70B Recommended Practice for Electrical Equipment Maintenance 2002 Edition
Table I1 suggests even more often than that.

Ron
B
Elz—

NETA has a (free!) download of their recommended maintenance intervals www.netaworld.org/files/ItemFileA42.pdf

Also (free!) www.usbr.gov/power/data/fist/fist4_1b/fist4_1b.pdf

And (free! pdf) nema.org/index_nema.cfm/1427/249D1875-9DE0-4504-9581AB15872B1988

E
Elzappr Offline OP
Yeah! I suspected that there was an NFPA publication dealing with PM stuff. Thanks Ron.
I'll look into the Neta site, Bjarney. I confess that I'm not familiar with "neta".

Do we need to consult with manufacturers of all our equipment to get the real scoop for good timely predictive/preventive maintenance?

B
Elz—

NETA members' prime business is electrical-equipment testing of new gear (acceptance testing) and existing stuff (maintenance testing).

E
Elzappr Offline OP
This afternoon I finally got a chance to see and quickly review the NETA site, and other links. What I'm dealing with is justifying a pm schedule for the electrical service and distribution panelboards and associated transformers and wiring for office buildings that are at least 10 years old. I see a 3 to 6 year pm frequency listed throughout the 70B table for low voltage equipment, along with some scattered comments to "follow manufacturer's maintenance instructions". Are such maintenance instructions readily available, and are they practical? Or is this something that only electrical test companies are privy to? How do I find info that tells me that a certain brand and model of drawout breaker is likely to fail after x years? I suspect that this is more of an 'insider's specialty', and that the manufacturers aren't about to share that sort of failure info if they don't have to.
I realize that I'm fishing for concrete answers where there might not be any, but I appreciate any input offered. Thanks

B
There are no easy answers. If literature is not available from the manufacturer, particularly for older gear, then experience is more important. If a facility owner has not lost money from unmaintained gear, then it can be a though sell.

Link Copied to Clipboard