ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#36011 03/27/04 08:53 PM
E
Edward Offline OP
How do you guys install plastic nail on device boxes? And how do you make sure that it lines upperfectly with the drywall(1/2 or 5/8)
Do you measure your height and line up the box then hammer in the nails? Or have other easier methods of doing it?

Ed

Thanks
Edward
M
If you are doing an entire house, I would make a "Story Pole" & use it to mark up all of your box locations first.
Most boxes have lines, ridges, or some type of mark for each thickness of sheetrock, so line up the mark with the face of the stud and nail away. I have also kept a small piece(1 1/2 " by 3")of sheetrock in my pocket to hold against the face of the stud while nailing up. A bit awkward, but does work if the marks or ridges aren't easy to see.

R
the story pole is definetly the way to go:cut a 2x4 to the height of the bottom of your box height; then scab on a piece of plywood the thickness of the drywall in such a way that you can put the story pole against the stud and accomplish both tasks simultaneously.

Tom Offline
For receptacles, I usually use my hammer handle as a gauge. Once I have the box positioned, I clamp it in place with a set of C grips (vice grips with a large C shaped opening).

Don't forget to check if the stud is square with the top & bottom plate. If the stud is twisted, the far side of your box can end up sticking out of the drywall.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
J
I use a peice of 1/2 inch mdf with a notch cut out to hold the box and then cut to length. As long as the floor is level they all come out the same height. Set it against the stud and nail.

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years to late" Jimmy Buffett
W
Carlon makes adjustable boxes, no one uses them???

E
Edward Offline OP
I have just installed my first CARLON Adj. Boxes. The drywall is not finished yet so i havn't tried them. I think they should work great as far as the depth of the sheetrock.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
... I use the adjustable boxes when there is sheetrock and tiling involved...just mount the box,..extend it out all the way,let the drywall and tile guy do their thing, then come back and adjust the depth..It makes installing boxes for tiled walls fool-proof..they may cost a little more,but it's sure worth it... [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 03-28-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
J
We use the adjustable boxes for back splash areas and tile, a little expensive to use everywhere. They work great.

E
Edward Offline OP
But, what is procedure for measuring height and installing/nailing boxes?
Measure line up to the mark then hammer?
I have noticed some people use a self made jig.
How do you make sure that all your boxes are exactly at the same heigh. Especially when you have a tiled kitchen backsplash

Edward

Thanks
Edward
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard