ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 376 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
GA76JW Offline OP
I just found this site last night while searching for Electrical codes. (This site was in the top 20 of my Yahoo search) Needless to say I spent most of the night reading all the great information and looking at some of the hilarious, yet somewhat disturbing pictures. (The floating receptacle still has me laughing)

Anyway some background info. I started work with a non-union shop here in Atlanta about 3 years ago. I worked there for about 6 months and didn't hardly learn a thing. It was the type of place that had a guy for everything. This guy gets material (was me). this guy makes up panels, this guy bends pipe, etc. No one ever got a chance to do anything else. It was very frustrating to want to learn, but have no one to teach you.

I worked a couple of jobs in between then and now. I joined up with the Local 613 in Atlanta through their apprenticeship and things have taken off. I found out I can actually bend pipe. They guys I work with are all great. They have no problem letting an apprentice get in there and get their hands dirty. I have messed up a few things, but the knowledge I have gained far outweighs the few sticks of 3/4 EMT I botched up..
I find that I learn alot more OJT than I do in the school,but I do see a purpose for the school also.

Anyway, sorry for the long read. I just felt it a little necessary to give some background info.

Thanks,

GA76Apprentice

Philip

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

R
Hello Phillip, and welcome. I look forward to learning from what you have to share. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
I
Philip welcome, glad you found this site and a job that makes you happy. [Linked Image]

I have one suggestion and that is leave out union, non union in your posts.

Everyone is equal here. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Philip,

Welcome aboard!
Ditto to the above Comments.

I think you'll find that there's a bunch of people here that are happy to share what they know. You've already heard from two of the best (above).

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
... Welcome Phil,
Enjoy your stay,...the folks here are just GREAT,..and you'll learn alot too !! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
P
Hi there Philip, and welcome to ECN.

Glad you're finding the forum interesting. We have a great bunch here, and with our various areas of expertise you'll usually find someone who can answer any questions, or at least give you plenty to think about.

Give my regards to Atlanta -- I was down in Ga. about 10 years ago and loved it! [Linked Image]

Paul
Norfolk, U.K.

G
GA76JW Offline OP
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I appreciate the fact that everyone here is sincere with their regards.
I really like this place. I don't see any foul language or people bashing others 'cause they didn't know something. Looks like a really good group of people assembled here.

Thanks again.

Philip

G
GA76JW Offline OP
Oh, I wanted to add this little disclaimer before I get too far here.
No disrespect is intended when I mentioned the the L.U. I joined. If I slip up and mention it again, Please do not take it the wrong way.

Link Copied to Clipboard