ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 139 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
IWIRE, the typical 3/4" EMT has 2 #12 MW branch circuits(4 hots, 2 neuts)2 hots with dedicated neuts(for AFCI circuits) and a #10 EGC. That's 10 #12 and 1 #10. With 7 3/4" conduits, there isn't any excuse for over filling any of them when leaving a 40 circuit panel.

I
Fred if these circuits are 20 amps you just made it. [Linked Image]

In the pipe you describe you have 8 current carrying conductors of 12 AWG.

Apply the 70% adjustment required and you end up with a 21 amp rated conductor.

If you had not used MW circuits you would have had a problem, once you get to 10 current carrying conductors it would be a 50% adjustment resulting in 15 amp rated 12 AWG.

I asked because I see these derating rules forgotten about often.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
F
iwire, derating was figured in. In the pipes where there isn't an AFCI circuit needed there is another MW circuit instead making 6 current carrying conductors. All circuits are protected @20A.

C
Derating ... its a pain. Turns out here in California temps can get up to the low teens above a 100 so add an additional 87 percent derating to the 70 percent derating and the arguement for conduit gets tough! It still makes for a much cleaner appearance if you have to pipe out to panels in the case of a service change where the panel site is changed as well. Piping romex for that last 3 feet verses thhn makes for a lot more pipes. In one recent case I was able to reduce the number of conduits from 7 to 4 -- much nicer looking!! [Linked Image]

B
Hello all new here. The most home runs I have ever seen, out of place .

About 5 years I got a service call to go terminate a panel for a gentleman that had wired a very large basement all by himself with no clue.

The man had gone and pulled a home run to each and every recep. in the basemant. It was all I could do to keep from laughing. I told him I had some good news and some bad news. Bad news was he was going to need some re-wiring. Good news he already had plenty of wire. [Linked Image]

Neil

Z
I see a lot of conduits in those pictures not secured properly. Do you guys get away with this. We would be bending offsets to get the pipes to the stud so we can strap them, or adding blocking in to strap them..............Brian

We would have the same issue here ZR, depending on the Township.

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
I
Just a thought on the pipe securing.

I would think a lot of inspectors might lighten up a little on the support rules in areas that will be covered with Sheetrock.

Exactly what outside force will be pushing and pulling on the concealed raceways?

I know the code does not say supports unless concealed, but I think some inspectors use commonsense.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
J
We used to get away with not fastening. Then the AHJ starting using the NEC by the book. Hey, if I have to strap more in exchange for an inspector that submits to the code just like we do, I'll take it any day. No more "his way because he likes it that way".

But for (what used to be before steel prices $.22 each) just smack a couple of these http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcCS812ScrwOnConSuppt.asp on there and your good to go.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard