ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Incidentally, last night I was working a job and came across a stab lock type that I had to replace. The TEENY little release slots don't give one a lot of choices for what to stick in there to release.
I'd like to know a better alternative than my skillcraft ballpoint pen.

Cut the conductors and start over?

S
Get one of those cheap eyeglass repair screwdrivers. In my experience it's small enough -- and tough enough -- to do the job.

Doesn't matter if you mangle the release lever as long as you manage to disconnect the socket without mangling the wires; you're not going to reuse it anyway.

But I'd go with what Thinkgood says. Cut close to the wire entry hole and re-strip the wire properly, that way you are sure you start with a new piece of un-nicked wire. Sometimes that "blade" that holds the wire in place tends to score it a bit.

W
I noticed on those spec grade back wire devices that there is usually a pair of holes per screwhead. And with a duplex, you would have 4 holes on the neutral, and another 4 holes on the hots. I could connect 4 neutrals and 4 hots, and if I also put wires directly under the screwheads, a total of 6 neutrals and 6 hots. I strongly suspect that this isn't code...

D
Noticed on a box of Pass & Seymour receptacles that they'd only lossened one of the screws on each side.

Made install a little faster that time.

IIRC, they also offer a program (case lot minimum, I assume) that will pre-set receptacles to your specs - your choice of Yes/No to screws, joined/separate "hot" terminals, plaster ears, etc.)

I
with a duplex, you would have 4 holes on the neutral, and another 4 holes on the hots. I could connect 4 neutrals and 4 hots, and if I also put wires directly under the screwheads, a total of 6 neutrals and 6 hots. I strongly suspect that this isn't code...

You can only use the back wire spots to feed one set of conductors or you can the screw heads, not both. [Linked Image]

2003 UL White Book
Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 A and 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors may be used to feed a single set of branch circuit conductors connected to other receptacles on a multi-outlet branch circuit. These devices have not been tested for tapping off more than one circuit from the receptacle by utilizing both the side-wiring and back-wiring terminals on an outlet.

Who really wants to push a device in with 13 solid 12 AWGs on it anyway. (6 hots, 6 neutrals, 1 grd) [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Broom Pusher and
Haligan;

When you use the screws do you turn the device upside down?

Upside down, sideways, shake it, etc.!

Some Brands are easier than others - and one even has springs with the Screw Terminals, which keeps them up kind of stoutly.

Some Brands have very tight loop points, others have easier to manage areas for looping the Conductor around the Screws.

Can't recall which Manufacturers have what, so it's pretty much a Crap Shoot!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard