ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34927 02/28/04 12:15 PM
F
In general, what is the typical rating of a residential bathroom jacuzzi? 120 or 240? Amps?
As far as the NEC is concerned I would classify that as a hydromassage tub. Am I correct?

Frank

W
Frank
The ones I have connected have been mostly 120v with a 20 amp cord connection.

Frank,

Nice to hear from you.

As Jacuzzi is a brand name this could be confusing. If it has a heater I'd call it a Spa or Hot Tub. If it's just a Pump with jets then it's a Hydromassage tub.

I've never seen a 240v hydromassage tub. Typical ratings are 15A or 20A @ 120v

Bill

Bill
R
I agree with everyone else, but I would like to add that I see them above 1/2HP on a regular basis. With that in mind, they are required to be on their own circuit.

430.148, 210.23(A)(2)

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
F
Thank you. Excellent information as usual.

A
We allways run a 20 amp 120v circuit. We did a feew larger ones do require (2)120v circuits because they have seperate pumps and cords that draw too much for (1) 20 amp circuit. I don't remember too many with heaters but I guess that would be a circuit too.

We always put the GFI in the panel. A few places here require that so we do them all that way. Did some that the noodel was shared and the GFI protection was in the bathroom. Having to go back and put it in the panel for the inspector is a big hassel.

This area uses EMT but some towns also want a ground wire pulled from the panel. I don't do that unless I know it is required but I allways leave space in the pipe just in case. Dose anyone pull a ground wire to the tub thru EMT if it's not asked for?

I also see some companies use outdoor bell boxes, compression connectors, etc. to keep things dry. I think that is a bit much but does anyone elce do that? I will keep the box under the tub off the floor with a board but thats it.

Tom

U
The last few I wired I used a blank-face GFI and a toggle switch for a disconnect. (On its own circuit of course.)

B
Active 1 raises a good point. If the water is chlorinated, it {and its vapors} are especially good a dissolving the galvanizing on EMT and the steel underneath. My pre-retirement employer {research facility} required a copper equipment ground in all raceway runs—period. One problem with older electrical components was that ready attachment of the grounding conductor was not always available—you got good at using cutting oil and a 10-32 tap chucked in a drill motor, with the requisite star lockwasher between the enclosure and grounding-conductor attachment.

I
On another forum this was posted by someone that owned a Jacuzzi tub, they claimed this was what the instructions said.

MOTOR/PUMP: 115 VAC, 3450 RPM/7.8 AMP, 60 Hz Single phase.

ELECTRICAL SERVICE REQUIREMENTS:

115 VAC, 15 AMP, 60 Hz. Requires dedicated separate circuit.

Given this infomation would it be correct to feed it with a 20 amp circuit?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
I wonder why it doesn't give the horsepower rating?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard