ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004082173,00.html

THIS field of light bulbs powered by invisible energy from overhead cables was “planted” near Bath, Somerset, to show the peril of living near pylons.

Wasn't there a discussion here once about walking across carpet holding a fluorescent tube and having it glow?

I recall taping fluorescent tubes to a dipole and seeing the CW flashed via the tubes...

C
C-H Offline

P
The trick of walking around under HV lines holding a fluorescent tube has been around for years.

Neon lights are also easily excited by EM fields, and in a similar way to TG's fluoro on a dipole, at one time they were sold as novelty items by many CB suppliers to fix on the whip and have light up when transmitting.

I nearly got blown out of the bucket of a boom truck when I was young.
I was working on some parking lot lights, had the C/B shut off, the panel locked, and could see it from where I was.
The overhead HV lines, way above me, put enough zonk into the ballast xfrmr that it tested 95V on the secondary side with the C/B turned off. [Linked Image]...S

:
that's depending on the inner resistance of your measuring equipment. perhaps it was way more but dropped at the resistance.

Broom Pusher and
Thinkgood;

Wasn't there a discussion here once about walking across carpet holding a fluorescent
tube and having it glow?

Ya, there was a thread regarding this, but not sure when it was, nor what the topic's name is (it probably is nothing at all related to firing a Fluorescent Lamp with ESD!).
If anyone remembers, please chime in - else try a forum posts search.
It seemed to be in this area - the General Discussions area, not in the Electrical Theory and Applications area.

As memory serves (this should be my best humorous statement ever!), the scenario which Electure speaks of in this thread, was also discussed in the unknown thread which Thinkgood is referring to.

The situation Electure found, was due to the H.V. feeders' field cutting across the Ballast of the HID fixture, inducing an AC to the Ballast.
Voltage readings would be results of test equipment used (input Z) and at the points across the Ballast where tests were taken from (across the input Autotransformer, across the Lamp holder, etc.).

Anyone involved in Parking area lighting service should remember this thread - and use it for a daily reminder!
The shock might not be powerful enough to kill, but the resulting fall may be enough to kill!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Heck, Scott, I can't even find it!
Boy, you've got a heck of a memory, and as an old [Linked Image] man, I repeat myself.
I learned a lot that day.
Always take a voltage reading (after shutting off, LOTO) before you do anything.
Sometimes, you only get 1 chance.
Don't think that you're a 9 Live cat.
Be safe, please. We need you all!
..S

Broom Pusher and
Heck ya, Scott, I remember that one!
Everytime I go passed Disneyland's Parking Lot, I think about it - since those 138KV circuits pass over so many Parking Light Standards!

BTW per the images I posted in the Photos Submitted For Discussion area (showing the "H" rack mounted Transformer Banks), the last three pic's are from the Brookhurst/Ball vicinity.
Hints:
One is next to "Subway", the other is across the Street from "Subway".

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard